🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Quick Question for aspiring Game Programmer

Started by
4 comments, last by Ophidious 24 years, 5 months ago
I am currently in High School, and am wondering what kind of classes you all would recommend for an aspiring 3d game programmer/designer. I kinda figure math and english are a good bet. Thank for any tips. WOW!! Did you REALLY??
WOW!! Did you REALLY??
Advertisement
Although you can''t take every class you might want in high school, you should definately take all the ALgebra, Trig, Geometry, and Physics that you can. A Linear Algebra class would be nice, but I doubt your high school has one.

Also, go ahead and pick up some books on 3D since every class in the world won''t teach you 3D programming, just prime you for it.
If they offer it in your high school, I would recommend taking, on top of I-Shaolin''s suggestions, Calculus and an Intro to Art class. My local community college let me take a linear algerbra course when I was in my senior year. Pretty much required a good SAT score and having taken the AP Calc test junior year.
I would suggest you to take philosophical class of logical thinking and callming, callming saves your nerves when you have tried 8 hours to compile your code and there was error in one ; which was wrong side of ), doh, I almost lost my mind (and still get red) when my compieler didn''t notice that and after little break I manually went throught(100000th time) my code and found out that ; was wrong side of objects''s subclass ) ) (compiler said that error was somewhere else).
I would recommend logical thinking, because many of the problems that you come across will be solved with it. It also helps you to get information, but don''t take that class which is for problem teenagers who can''t calculate 1+1, they are usually named as, how will I succeed in worklife with logical thinking or How do I relaxe, when I have 10 tests in one week.

Meditation

Time comes, time goes and I only am.
Ooooooooooh, here i germany, we have physics, advanced physics, maths and advanced maths classes and that''s what you can choose to become a good coder. It''s really ugly.

CU

Graphix Coding @
Skullpture Entertainment
Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions. In regards to Calculus, our school offers it, but unless you take Algebra in 8th grade (which I didn''t), you can''t take it. Our school offers (in order) Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2 and Trigonometry, Advanced Mathematics, and then Calculus.

Ophidious
-------------------------

WOW!! Did you REALLY??
WOW!! Did you REALLY??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement