🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

asBEHAVE_REF_CAST from type to itself

Started by
0 comments, last by WitchLord 10 years, 2 months ago

I meant to call this:

RegisterObjectBehaviour("Base", asBEHAVE_REF_CAST, "Derived@ f()", asFUNCTION((refCast<Base,Derived>)), asCALL_CDECL_OBJLAST)

But instead called this (note the typo):

RegisterObjectBehaviour("Derived", asBEHAVE_REF_CAST, "Derived@ f()", asFUNCTION((refCast<Base,Derived>)), asCALL_CDECL_OBJLAST)

There were no warnings or asserts from AS.. the Base-to-Derived cast in script didn't work (as we might expect).

I won't go as far as saying this is a bug (as in it should have triggered an assert).. but would it be possible/desirable to at least add a warning about it or something along those lines? What is the expected behavior here?

2.29.0 WIP (rev 1906), Linux 32bit

Thank you!

Advertisement

The expected behaviour here is that the ref-cast behaviour to itself will never be called. The compiler will always be looking for a ref-cast that returns a different type and will simply filter out this as any other cast behaviour that doesn't return the desired type.

I'll consider adding a specific verification in the engine for this case.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement