🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

In need of scripting help :B

Started by
0 comments, last by WitchLord 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi, I'm hoping this is the right spot to post my question. I just joined the forum in desperation because I am trying to build my first game using a game-builder called Novelty (uses AngelScript) and my ambitions are beyond the reaches of the default software. It allows for script input, which is awesome, except I don't know the first thing about scripting. I'm trying to learn but it's such an unusual language and there seem to be so many variations. I can't tell C++ from Java.

Anyway, if anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it! The game I'm making is sort of a reinvention of the old DOS game Princess Maker 2 (a child-rearing simulator). In the game the player is required to plot out their kid's schedule over a course of time - say, one week at a time. What I need to figure out how to do is get the code for a calender-type object in which I am able to specify a week at a time (ie, row 1 = week 1, row 2 = week 2), with buttons available for different activities the player can schedule during these weeks. I need to be able to store the variables of these activities in their specified time-slots without immediately affecting the game until the player presses a "set schedule" button, at which moment time would speed through the week and any scheduled activities would be triggered in a separate screen.

Blah, typing it all out makes it seem like such a daunting task, though I'm sure someone proficient in coding could come up with a simple solution. I've already bumbled my way through figuring out how to write an aging script, so I can keep track of the child-character's age. This schedule script is the only other major part I'll need to implement manually, while the rest of the game can be completed with Novelty's much more me-friendly WYSIWYG interface. Thanks again for any help, advice, etc!! n_n

Advertisement

Hi ssoggybottomss,

It sounds like your doubts are really about what utilities that Novelty exposes to the scripting language, than the language itself. You would have more success getting help for your questions if you ask the Novelty engine maker, or perhaps there is a forum where other Novelty users hang out.

I wish I could help more, but I've not used Novelty myself and have no knowledge of how it has integrated AngelScript.

Regards,

Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement