🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Blender: How do I animate hair (mesh)?

Started by
1 comment, last by Mia Blue 10 years, 2 months ago

So it turns out that Blender has a hair particle system...but that's not exactly what I'm going for because it looks too realistic (imagine that argument!) and my characters have a toonish style. I made a hair mesh, and I'm not sure how to animate it. How do you do it? I haven't learned rigging yet, but I'm thinking I could use the concept for animating hair. I've seen mention of using cloth and softbody modifiers for this. I have not used either though. Is it worth looking into tutorials for the two or is there another method? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Well, if you are using the Blender Game Engine to make your game, then you could use either cloth or softbody animation Cloth would probably be easier and better for a game. I haven't used blender's hair system, but from my experience those types of systems take a long time to render, and have more complex calculations.

I forgot that I have to consider hair myself, and the way I am going to do it is with cloth animation, because you can stitch the cloth to a group of vertices, just as hair is stitched to your head.

Anyhow, this is the first tutorial I was able to find that might help:

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

I appreciate your help! Also, I agree with you on using cloth animation (I just found this video on doing cloth:

). Now that I've seen both, I have an idea of how I want to do it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement