🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsoft astroturfing the frontpage news section?

Started by
1 comment, last by Ravyne 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm curious, all the Microsoft/Windows Phone related news have a lot more upvotes than the other news.

Are some of the upvotes from external sources or is it astroturfing?

Advertisement
The news feeds come from outside sources, and I believe the rankings are aggregate across many sites.

While I agree it is fairly rare to see a story with a score in the multiple thousands, since most stories are in the tens and sometimes the hundreds, it does make sense; the story is probably filed under many different fields and is a general interest story. It meets the meme of an indestructible Nokia phone, having a Nokia-brand Windows phone stopping a bullet is mildly funny by itself.

I don't think any suspicious numbers happened, just that it was interesting to a lot of people across a lot of shared news hubs.

Microsoft TechEd is also going on this week, and it wasn't long ago that //Build was going on, and in between the two there's been lots of news attention, what with the new CEO, the Nokia deal closing, soaring stock prices, and a slew of other things. In terms of media attention and cool-factor, Microsoft has been the red-headed stepchild for the last 10 years, but that trend is starting to be bucked in the last 6 months or so. Part of your amazement and confusion is probably rooted in the fact that you're simply not used to hearing any good news about Microsoft.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement