🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Problem loading bytecode

Started by
3 comments, last by WitchLord 10 years, 1 month ago

Dear all,

I need to compile the scripts into bytecode, and load and execute them in a completely different environment.

I compile the scripts with a slightly modified version of the asbuild.

The the other environment I implemente the corresponding slightly modified version of asrun.

The problem is when the script references a cdecl external function declared in the environment.

I boiled down the issue to this script:

void main(void)
{
  SystemFunc(0, 123);
}

I succesfully register this function in the engine both when I succesfully compile the script and when I try to execute it, with:

engine->RegisterGlobalFunction("void SystemFunc(uint, int)", asFUNCTION(SystemFunc), asCALL_CDECL);

But then the LoadByteCode function fails apparently because it does not find the function.

Further analysis led me to the call sequence into the asCReader object:
Read -> ReadInner -> ReadUsedFunctions -> IsSignatureEqual.

After few nested calls it end up into asCScriptFunction::IsSignatureExceptNameAndReturnTypeEqual where there is the following code:

if(this->isReadOnly        != readOnly) return false;
  if(this->inOutFlags        != paramInOut) return false;
  if(this->parameterTypes    != paramTypes) return false;
  if((this->objectType != 0) != (objType != 0)) return false;

return true;

Where everything matches but the pointer to parameterType. I am quite sure that the contents of the parameters type are pretty the same, but simply they are two different copies of the same thing. And they do not match.

I need some suggestion about the way out of this issue.

Maybe I have made something wrong, and any help is appreciated. Note that if I compile the script in the same environment everything works as aexpected.

The best way, I think to solve is to mach the parameters when they are created and make only one copy, but I donìt know where to look.

The other way is to match the contents of the parameters, rather than pointers ...

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Mau.

Advertisement

Sorry for the above noise ...

Looking further I've noticed that indeed the parameterTypes array contents are checked so probably there is some other fault in my code ...

Continuing to try ...

Regards.

Mau.

Hi Mau,

First of all: Upgrade to the latest version (WIP) of AngelScript in the SVN if you haven't done so already. There are some bugfixes related to serializing bytecode in the 2.29.0 WIP.

Secondly: Can you let me know a bit more about the platforms you're using? On what platform are you building the bytecode, and on what platform are you executing it? Most likely they are compatible, but there are some specific restrictions in the bytecode saving that may make the platforms incompatible. I need information such as OS, 32bit/64bit address model, and CPU type.

Can you also provide the configuration file that you use for asbuild, so I can have a look at the interface you're registering with the engine?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Thanks Andreas for your answer.

For Your information the environment is a real time kernel, but the platform is a normal win32 with VS2010 compiler, so everythink applies to x86 environment should work into this kernel too.

Parameter conventions are the same as the more conventional win32 programming. This is also the reason I want to compile in plain win32 and execute only the code in real time ... it looks like a waste of time to "compile" in real time ...

I am working with the latest svn version.

My fault was an innocent missing "const" in the signature used running the bytecode, with respect to that used by the compiler, and that was why it didn't match the function. I discovered this tonight, well after I posted here.

So sorry for the rised flag ... it was my fault.

Regards.

Mau.

No problem. I'm glad you identified the cause. :)

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement