🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bitmaps in DOS?

Started by
2 comments, last by Ray745 24 years, 5 months ago
Now i know normally you have to change the video mode in order to show bitmaps in dos, but i saw on a post before that someone had mad a library for displaying bitmaps in dos, i was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible to do this, and if so, where could i find a way how to. thanks If I only had a nickle for every problem I''ve had, I wouldn''t have anymore problems, but then I guess I wouldn''t have anymore nickles either...
If I only had a nickle for every problem I''ve had, I wouldn''t have anymore problems, but then I guess I wouldn''t have anymore nickles either...
Advertisement
Hmmm, I''m a little confused on what you are asking, but I''ll try to help. In DOS, you have two differect video mode types, bitmap and text. These modes can be switched rather easily with some low level programming, which could easily be hidden in a library.

A problem in DOS however, is that the video modes are much harder to work with than in Windows, since anything above the VGA modes become subject to the video card maker. This means that high color, high res programming is difficult since you have to program differectly to different cards.

If you want to work with the standard VGA modes, I think there are some articles on www.xtreme3d.com (Lamothe''s site). If you want to do anything more, go to Windows.
In a nutshell, you call interrupt 0x10 to change video modes. You describe which video mode by loading it into the AX register. 19 is easy to start with. If you use mode 19, the graphics buffer starts at segment 0xa000, with 1 byte per pixel.
I suggest a library called Allegro.
http://talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

It is the best! And it has been ported
to windows, linux, and BeOS!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement