🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine & Modeler Specific Forums?

Started by
2 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 10 months ago

It would be nice if there were forums dedicated to specific engines or modelers (the main engines and modelers at least).

Many times there are engine specific questions, and though this is a game development website, there is no place to post engine specific questions. So questions pertaining to the Urneal Engine are lost among all the other info. Posts about the Blender3D modeler are also lost.

This way if you have a Unity3D related question, you can post in that forum, and those who use that engine can reply.

As it stands, categories are all-around a little messy. Most of the time I have to play a guessing game at which one to post in.

This could also be done for programming languages (main ones), and all other less used programming languages can be started under an "Other Languages" Forum topic.

I know this site has been around for a long time, but is this viable?

I see the "tags" are one way to get things related, but not all posts are tagged.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement
If you need an explicit question related to those engines/tools answered, why not post in the relevant site forums? Otherwise can you make relevant case where those subforums woudn't basically become ghost towns?, i mean heck just look at some of the dead/near dead subforums that already exist here.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I was thinking along the lines of the setup of Cgsociety. How it is a site that caters to professional graphics artist, but it has sub-forums for the various software used to produce these graphics. It is a site for professionals, so of course you have the amateur stuff, perhaps using entry level software.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

The main problems would be deciding which tools are popular enough to warrant their own forums, and then the sheer number of forums we would need to add to our already very large collection -- it could get unwieldy pretty quickly.

We'd really prefer tagging to be used as the solution for sorting content along these sort of lines, and we're trying to work to improve the tagging system; as you've noticed, one of the biggest problems is that some content simply isn't tagged at all.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement