🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why there is no option to delete my posts?

Started by
3 comments, last by rip-off 9 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes I misunderstand what a post is asking for and I answer it wrongly, and when I realise my error, I can't delete the post.

I know that a better reading of the thread would prevent me from making those stupid mistakes, but errors sometimes happen. I don't think I'm an impulsive poster at all, usually I don't start typing an answer if I'm not sure what the poster is asking, or if I'm not sure that my answer will be useful, and I read my answer a couple of times before clicking the "post" button, but sometimes you can't avoid making a mistake...

It's true that I can edit my post and correct my answer, but what should I do when I misunderstood the question, and I can't answer properly to the real question?

I'm aware that a delete button could cause issues with people deleting answered or ancient posts, but what about having say a couple of grace minutes after posting an answer to delete it if I realise I misunderstood what is being asked?

Advertisement

but what should I do when I misunderstood the question, and I can't answer properly to the real question?

Just edit the post to say "Sorry, I misunderstood the original post. Please disregard my previous comments."

but what should I do when I misunderstood the question, and I can't answer properly to the real question?

Just edit the post to say "Sorry, I misunderstood the original post. Please disregard my previous comments."

This works - a mod will see it and delete. It would be best however if you also sent a PM to the moderator of the forum asking for the post to be deleted.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Ok, that's what I'll do, thank you very much!

If I make a mistake, I just edit the old response, strikethrough the original text and add a short follow up indicating why I was wrong. Bear in mind I have the ability to remove posts.

The reason I don't like totally removing the original content is if people respond or quote that original text, and you edit it, then the thread may no longer make sense.

If no-one has responded, then this isn't so important.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement