🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Journals... purpose and guides?

Started by
7 comments, last by aregee 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi!

I was just wondering if there exists any guides here to write journals? I also wonder the purpose and if there is any rules or similar I need to know about, or if it is meant to be some sort of personal space where you write about things that other people might be interested in?

Just to be sure I don't mess up anything if I decide to write something.

I did try to search, but I couldn't find anything obvious here to answer my questions.

Advertisement

or if it is meant to be some sort of personal space where you write about things that other people might be interested in?

This sums it up well enough. It's your own section of the site to do with it what you want. Obviously you need to follow the general posting guidelines like you would find here on the forums but as far as topics go, you can talk about your latest game project or what your cat did all afternoon. Obviously the former would get you more attention than the latter from the rest of the community :P Look through the other journals to see what other people are writing, and Featured Journals are chosen for good content and writing so keep an eye on them as well.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

So it is basically what I thought it was then. Don't worry, there won't be much cats and dogs. biggrin.png Thank you for your answer! :)

I would read journals about cats. Would make a nice change.

I was just wondering if there exists any guides here to write journals?
Just a recommendation: Don't use the journal editor if you value your entries. Write all you want to write in another software (word, notepad, nano, gedit, whatever you want), and then paste it into the journal editor for final editing.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I think most people treat it as a mostly-technical blog, or Dev-Log. Sometimes people post more-personal, or non-technical / off-topic stuff, but basically no one treats it as a personal blog where they just talk about whatever's on their mind that day. I think you're doing it right as long as you're doing it "in the spirit of the community".

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I was just wondering if there exists any guides here to write journals?
Just a recommendation: Don't use the journal editor if you value your entries. Write all you want to write in another software (word, notepad, nano, gedit, whatever you want), and then paste it into the journal editor for final editing.

Oh this is a great tip actually, especially since I am using Chrome canary build that has a tendency to crash on me, especially when I am writing here...

I think most people treat it as a mostly-technical blog, or Dev-Log. Sometimes people post more-personal, or non-technical / off-topic stuff, but basically no one treats it as a personal blog where they just talk about whatever's on their mind that day. I think you're doing it right as long as you're doing it "in the spirit of the community".

Yes, I was thinking the same, but just wondering to which degree it has to be on a "noob"-to-expert level, given I probably am somewhere in the middle +/- 10%. I guess I am safe about the stuff I am thinking about writing, which for the moment is audio, which seems to not really be the thing most people are interested in here, but never the less also an important part of a game.

I would read journals about cats. Would make a nice change.

Yes, I love cats, but I don't know too much about them other than cuddle with them lol. :D

Here is a cat video:

Yes, I was thinking the same, but just wondering to which degree it has to be on a "noob"-to-expert level, given I probably am somewhere in the middle +/- 10%. I guess I am safe about the stuff I am thinking about writing, which for the moment is audio, which seems to not really be the thing most people are interested in here, but never the less also an important part of a game.

That actually brings up a good point -- Many less experienced people are over-eager to start writing tutorials and to express opinions and anecdotal evidence as factual. The trouble is that this gets disseminated to other less-experienced forks who don't have the wherewithal to separate good ideas from bad. Avoid that. By all means don't be afraid to share your findings, experience, triumphs, and hardships -- nothing is too big or too small. But don't believe that because you've found one way of doing things, that you're suddenly an expert. Share, just disclaim that you aren't an expert and other people might have different or better solutions -- also share why such and such solution worked in your circumstances. I think you'll find that having this kind of humility will actually help you build a strong reputation.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

That actually brings up a good point -- Many less experienced people are over-eager to start writing tutorials and to express opinions and anecdotal evidence as factual. The trouble is that this gets disseminated to other less-experienced forks who don't have the wherewithal to separate good ideas from bad. Avoid that. By all means don't be afraid to share your findings, experience, triumphs, and hardships -- nothing is too big or too small. But don't believe that because you've found one way of doing things, that you're suddenly an expert. Share, just disclaim that you aren't an expert and other people might have different or better solutions -- also share why such and such solution worked in your circumstances. I think you'll find that having this kind of humility will actually help you build a strong reputation.

It seems like my thought is on wavelength with this, which encourages me to start sharing my experiences, triumphs and hardships. I tend to under-estimate my knowledge, so hopefully I won't go into the "over-eager-noob-trap", there are a lot of super-skilled people on this forum. I probably can never be as good as them, but that doesn't really matter to me. What matters is that I can make the goals I set. Actually what I will be hoping for is feedback to increase my skills, and make improvements.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement