🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mobile site layout

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 9 years, 10 months ago

Some changes to the way that ads are displayed today have pretty much broken the site on iPhone... depending on how good your eyesight is!

n.b. people with wide images in their signatures have caused the same issue for a long time -- the site usually is quite browsable on iPhone, but if someone with a wide sig has posted in a topic, it causes the site's content to shrink like this.

s4LjSEA.png

fQIshHk.png

Advertisement

I have also noticed that the site has an irritating habit of resizing the text portions two or three times after the page has loaded. I assume because some form of background javascript is loading up images/ads or something. It can be quite disruptive when you're reading a post only to have it shrunk up to the side of the screen and then back again after a few more seconds.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

We had a very similar report via Facebook, I sent Mike an email -- hopefully we can find a good solution quickly. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Sorry, should have left it in a fixed state before stopping.. long story short, Google AdSense banned our ad account.. AdSense is a primary means of supporting the site so we are in emergency mode to fix the problem. Long story short, they don't like the way we display ads responsively (ie. how the site looks when you shrink the browser down). They also didn't like the dropdown menu directly covering the ad either.. so we have a host of problems we are trying to retool quickly.

Anywho, should be fixed.

Ah that explains my name shift over to the left.

off topic.

@hodge,

I am writing to you because I am utterly shocked. I thought I was the only one who used virgin mobile :o

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

Regarding the mobile version, I can't find the search function at all. The search bar is missing or hidden somewhere.

Nexus 7 (Android 4.4.4), Chrome Browser (v37.0.2026.117)

Regarding the mobile version, I can't find the search function at all. The search bar is missing or hidden somewhere.

Nexus 7 (Android 4.4.4), Chrome Browser (v37.0.2026.117)

I'm pretty sure that was a known issue with resizing to narrow screens. Even before the recent changes the search bar vanished on my tablet when I rotate from landscape to portrait, and in windowed mode the menu bar and editing tools vanished as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement