🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I kind of think Gamedev's hardware board should be brought back

Started by
2 comments, last by Shane C 9 years, 9 months ago
I've listened to Washu's reasons that the hardware board of Gamedev was done away with and I respect them. However, I still think the hardware board Gamedev used to have should be brought back. It would give a safe place to talk about or ignore the latest on computer hardware. You could even implement board-specific rules such as "No flaming people for their choice of OS or brand."
Advertisement

I'm not sure what reasons Washu provided, but we did try having a hardware board a while back for at least a year.

It was very low traffic, meaning that the few topics that were started over time got very few responses and members wanted to post in the higher-traffic lounge forum instead. I don't think we're getting more discussions of this than we were at that time, and they certainly aren't drowning out other discussions there -- in fact, taking them away would make the lounge itself pretty quiet as well.

We're unlikely to add a new forum without a reasonable amount of discussion of the topic in question and a compelling reason to do so.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm the one who proposed the hardware board originally, after a flurry of hardware-related posts started to choke the Lounge a little bit. As the forum turned out to be low traffic and the same choking hasn't happened, it doesn't seem to really be needed.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I understand. I'm just going to use the Lounge then, when I want to talk about hardware :). Jbadams reasoning that the Lounge would be pretty quiet without is, is pretty compelling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement