🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bugs - RSS Import flakey at best

Started by
4 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 9 years, 9 months ago

So I've been playing with the RSS import option for journals in an attempt to get my journal to update here as well as my main blog.

I've found two different issues, both of which are damn annoying.

1. The import from the RSS feed attempts to reformat the blocks, however in doing so it loses common formatting bits and pieces, such as paragraph markers. Opting instead to try and replace them with <br/> objects. Unfortunately, its not very successful at that, as you can see here.
  2. I noticed it opted to ignore even that on my last import from the RSS, and left the <p> tags in... as escaped text. It did the same for the code (that was in <pre><code> blocks) and lost all the indenting as well.

I have already verified the RSS is working correctly and the output from the RSS is correct. I understand the need to strip HTML as you have no idea what someone might try and inject via RSS, however I kind of expect it to handle this a weeeeeeeeee bit better.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Advertisement

Yea, known issue. Unsure whose responsibility it is to fix though - ours or IPS

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Yea, known issue. Unsure whose responsibility it is to fix though
Obama's.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I guess we're screwed then?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I guess we're screwed then?

It wouldn't be so bad if the blogging system supported markdown. I know mike was working on it a while back, but I've not seen anything since.

Frankly, if we could just get markdown working, then manually updating my blog here wouldn't be an issue (just copy/paste). I know this is more of an issue with the IPS people and their terrible architecture... but dammit, we should be able to.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

They are working on a brand-spanking new version, but I'm reluctant to even switch to it when it does come out given the past track record .. at least for a year.

The problem with a lot of the changes they made is that they really really really hardwired their board to use this editor. There is *no* pluggability to it at all with the exception of ip.content (what our article system uses is a different editor).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement