🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Planning a Complex Narrative

Started by
13 comments, last by GeneralJist 9 years, 8 months ago

If you want an overarching more-or-less-linear narrative, I would go with:
- The game has a global timeline, or several global timelines in parallel. This allows the world to change permanently in response to key plot events. (E.g. Skyrim, Final Fantasy 7)

This means that you organize organize your design process by making a timeline. ...Flowcharts are often preferred by arty, visual people, while spreadsheets are often preferred by people who like history and math; either could work fine for your game concept if I'm understanding it correctly. Do you want a more detailed description of how one of these methods would be used?

Global timeline, as in key events that affect all the cultures present within the game world, or at least very significant ones. Correct? A single player choice may create a domino effect that sets off a huge change in future occurrences. Less significant events may also affect minor outcomes, say for example anything between individual characters or any small factions or groups. Yes, I've considered a timeline, although the programs I've found all seem to be rather restricted. It would be interesting if I could lay out even the most minute of events. Like a zoom function, scroll out to see the largest, global events. Scroll in to see small character or group events, even further in to see dialogue events.

I may still try the wiki, as Servant mentioned, I could host it through my own webhost. Multiple methods may work well together. A flow chart sounds wonderful, but it requires a great deal of effort to complete. A spreadsheet might be my best option to begin with, from there I can dedicate the time to work on a very well planned (and very long) flow chart. I would very much appreciate an example if you had one, that would help me to an enormous extent. I've been looking for references for the structure of this process.

Thank you very much for your help so far, sunandshadow. biggrin.png

Personally I think the problem with flowcharts (or mind-mapping which is like flowchart lite) isn't the effort involved, but rather the fact that there isn't a really great free flowchart software. It can also be challenging to get all the information back out of both flowcharts and wikis (when you want to copy and paste substantial amounts).

Anyway I'll just describe how one would use a spreadsheet to keep track of a game with a global timeline. First of all you want to make sure you are using a free spreadsheet software so that every team member can use the same one, as errors can appear if you're trying to use two or three different softwares to view and edit a spreadsheet. I personally recommend LibreOffice as an offline solution, but Google Sheets has good points as an online solution. Many wiki softwares include the basic ability to make tables but don't have more advanced features.

Second you want to brainstorm a bit about how to group your information. If you have distinct locations in the game, it may work well to have a spreadsheet page per location. Another possible way to break things up is by faction if factions are really important to the game, or by viewpoint character if you have a limited number of viewpoint characters with distinctly different options within the game. Then for that page each column would be an NPC or other source of information like an interactable object (or location if that's not what sheets are). The rows would be numbered for the global time increments, and then you can add sub-rows for quest-local increments. Then the cells would each get an ID number along with a dialogue exchange or a description of an action a player can take and the consequences that would result. These ID numbers are very important - you use them as a check-list when editing text before committing it into the game, or assigning them to a voice-actor, and when assigning scripting to NPCs and objects withing the game, etc.

Example: While the development documents for Skyrim aren't publicly available (as far as I know, anyway) players have reconstructed the quest stages by looking at the programming. For minimal spoilers, here's the first main quest segment from Skyrim. The part I'm talking about is at the bottom of the page where there is a section called Quest Stages and a table labeled Unbound (MQ101).

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Unbound

Similarly for Final Fantasy players have reconstructed some of the quest stages and flags by looking at the programming. I couldn't find an easy-to-understand presentation of this data though. Basically you'd have to look into the Black Chocobo Save Game Editor, the Game Progress Section and the Test Data section are both relevant.

http://blackchocobo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=User_Guide#The_Game_Progress_Tab.28NEEDS_UPDATING.29

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

You can run your wiki from a flash drive.

http://lifehacker.com/354005/run-your-personal-wikipedia-from-a-usb-stick

Is that private enough for ya? ;)

Oooooh, that's a nice find. xD I'll look further into it. Might take a bit to setup, but I'll do very nicely. Thank you!

During investigating the internet for meanings about in-game dialog structures, I came to a similar conclusion regarding to phrases to be said by the player.
* They should not be (too) verbose, especially but not exclusively if voice acting is in play. This allows to pick a phrase but being still interested in reading / hearing the verbose one.
* They should be marked regarding to their effect on the interlocutor, so players not speaking the game's language natively need not understand the nuances in sentences.
* The choices should be limited to a few (perhaps at most 5 or so).
* The game settings may provide to switch on/off a kind of help for conversation in that choices are sorted regarding how good they fit the player character or the story.

However, such things are controversial anyway...

Alright, so if I am not mistaken. Brief dialogue choices, quick to read, easy to understand. When selected, the character then expands on that summarized dialogue choice. The choices are marked in accordance to outcomes these choices are predicted to have on the character they are interacting with. Although, it may be far more interesting to make decisions based on the context of the discussion, rather than selecting the most positive response. 4-5 choices that may at least provide the illusion of choice, when there may only be say, 2 or 3 actual outcomes of the discussion. (keeps the development scope manageable) I am looking towards more of the empty vessel kind of protagonist, although, not quite the traditional one. I'm considering systems that would permit a sort of backstory that the player creates for them in accordance to the game's lore or species/culture.

Fantastic tips, you guys/gals have been absolutely invaluable to me.

Personally I think the problem with flowcharts (or mind-mapping which is like flowchart lite) isn't the effort involved, but rather the fact that there isn't a really great free flowchart software.

I personally recommend LibreOffice as an offline solution, but Google Sheets has good points as an online solution.

Second you want to brainstorm a bit about how to group your information. ...or by viewpoint character if you have a limited number of viewpoint characters with distinctly different options within the game.

Then for that page each column would be an NPC or other source of information like an interactable object (or location if that's not what sheets are). The rows would be numbered for the global time increments, and then you can add sub-rows for quest-local increments. Then the cells would each get an ID number along with a dialogue exchange or a description of an action a player can take and the consequences that would result. These ID numbers are very important - you use them as a check-list when editing text before committing it into the game, or assigning them to a voice-actor, and when assigning scripting to NPCs and objects withing the game, etc.

Quite a lot of information to absorb. I've found Google Drive to be of use to us, so I may lean towards Google Sheets. The less programs we need to use, the less chaotic this whole process will be. I know that character perspective is what I'd like to experiment with the most. So I'd need to work out an easy to grasp system for the sheets that could at least summarize the necessary information. Characters, Location, Objectives, Choices, and Outcomes.

It looks like the Skyrim example you provided indicated many of the key events or paths the player could take through the use of a Journal system. As haegarr had mentioned, I might need to keep the dialogue brief, at least for the purpose of explaining these events quickly in the context of player and npc interaction, or these long documents. Perhaps I could use another document for further depth, but at the moment I just need to plan everything out. An ID number for each scenario sounds very useful, I'll be sure to use them.

Thank you for the great deal of information, plenty of advice to go through. I'm looking forward to any further advice any of you may have!

Hmm, what about plotting it out using Twine or a similar tool? That way you can compile it and give it to the team, to testers, etc. as a playable product, and therefore get and address feedback right away.

It's not that different than the wiki idea, just that I think you can do some game-y stuff that a wiki won't naturally handle, like setting variables and then branching based on those variables.

Well, my two cents:

I like Outliners, mostly used (win only though) "The Guide" ( http://theguide.sourceforge.net/ / http://theguide.sourceforge.net/images/shot1.png ), they are good for naturally expanding texts.

Mindmapping was already mentioned, I prefer Concept Mapping Tools though, because they are less restrictive than mindmaps. Here I used to use CMap Tools, but you need to offer an eMail to download it, and they have a weird way of handling the files (best explained here: http://cmap.ihmc.us/support/help/usingcmaptools.php ). If you can get over this, it is great to use, very bloat-free. As already mentioned, in such tools (and CMaps is no exception) exporting is possible, but a pain - but then you wouldn't want to write long text in the bubbles anyway, personally I never found the need to export from CMaps.

And the aforementioned Twine ( http://twinery.org/ ) is worth a look too imo.

In the end there are lots of possibilities, and "the best" tool is mostly the one you personally can work best with.

Not sure if this will help, but I thought of this softwware:

http://www.inspiration.com/

It's a bubble maping tool

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement