🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What makes a GOOD programmer?

Started by
39 comments, last by Dale 22 years, 7 months ago
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
2 related questions:

2 totally unrelated questions.

quote: 1) What tools are required to produce a complete game for the Xbox?

The same tools required to produce a complete game for any other platform.

quote: 2) Can 3-4 people with the right mix of creative and technical skills (and a great story line) produce a finished game?

Yes.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
Advertisement
Being able to read a bad programmers code and understand it so you can fix the bugs your boss told you to.
being able to smile and nod at you friend''s bad programming skills and fix his crap behind his back......jk
A good programmer is not afraid to learn new things, techniques, APIs, IDEs

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.
quote: Original post by krez
Krez, I admire your posts and your knowledge/views, but give credit to whom it belongs ...
-David
um, i didn''t post anything in this forum (until just now). i am assuming that you think i put up that hackers mainfesto... i didn''t.
i''m apparently not the only one who doesn''t use caps and likes the little skull-n-crossbones icon

Truely sorry Krez. Already somehow tied the skull to your name, again sorry for that.

-David
Movie Hackers...

*chk chk chk* *chk chk chk chk* I''ve found the back door! We''re almost in! *chk chk chk chk chk* *chk chk chk* Just a few more seconds! *chk chk chk* ::Hits TAB:: We''re in!

That always gives me a laugh...

Z.
______________"Evil is Loud"
How about the "wow, this sucker has a 28.8 baud modem". Hehe, 28 baud, talking about a slow modem.
quote: Original post by CruxMihiAncora
How about the "wow, this sucker has a 28.8 baud modem". Hehe, 28 baud, talking about a slow modem.

i couldn''t stop laughing

------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Dedication.

A willingness to work at a problem until it gives, or find a way around.

Time- put in the hours.

Get books. You cant beat books for reliability. They never crash.
( i can just see a librarian going-"we are shut ! the books crashed !"

Learn different languages and how they approach things.
It will improve your understanding.

Read computer science articles. They will improve your knowledge and help spark ideas.

Get some calculus background.
Really helps.

A guru.
This elusive sapient will be hard to find, but once you find...wait...this is late-nite humor....
Retake: This way you can do a quick Help ! and don`t have to get onto a chatroom or post on a forum- cutting hours off debugging.

~V''lion

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''''lion
~V'lionBugle4d
Oluseyi,
quote: I had a PC XT with a 20MB hard disk and a 4.33MHz processor.

Dude, 20MB HD with a 4.33MHz processor? I can only imaganie what you paid for a HD back then. With ye old 8086 8MHz, I had a 20MB hard-drive, and it cost me 300 bucks (OK, it cost my parents 300 bucks for Christmas; I was 11 years old). Then I got a 300 baud modem, and, damn, I got beat for calling all those long distance BBS''s!

It sure was fun back then.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement