🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advertising Rules (for the banner ad trial)

Started by
3 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 9 years, 8 months ago

Products or services - try to keep it relevant to the viewers of this site in some way. If things get crazy I'm sure we can hold a community discussion about it and find out what ads people want to disallow.

Products and services seems to restrict things like Team recruiting ads (which are also something I'm glad to see, and may be interested in posting some time).

Getting more exposure for help wanted posts for good indie teams could be a big motivator in getting the GDNet+ and joining the ad circulation.

Can we nail down a broader range of advertising subject matter?

I would want to say, anything game, software, or gamedev related, but keep it PG-13.

Advertisement
I'm cool with that. One of the other issues is that when we moderate the ads to approve them there has to be some level of professionalism. We had one ad submitted that looked like it was done in ms paint and was illegible. Ads should reflect the community in a positive light.

Here's a thought:

To automate, maybe use the Screenshot Saturday system (under a different title), and display only the top X% of ads. Or display ads that have a higher ranking more frequently, and submit any under a certain rating for moderation?

So, if somebody wants to get an ad displayed, they'll have to polish it up a bit to make it look nice in the banner.

I'm cool with that. One of the other issues is that when we moderate the ads to approve them there has to be some level of professionalism. We had one ad submitted that looked like it was done in ms paint and was illegible. Ads should reflect the community in a positive light.

what do you mean looks like it was ms paint... IT WAS MS PAINT

EaWG6xI.png

I honestly didn't think it would go through, I thought I would have got a message telling me I need to be a prime member for $0.00 ads sad.png now yall think im a fool

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

This is cool, because subscribers could even use it to promote community contests and things like that, relieving dependency from staff members promoting it, reducing pressure on them.

I think GameDev.net should continue to accept and pursue corporate sponsers as well, and have "Donate to GameDev.net" | "GameDev.net Amazon Referal Link" | "Advertise with us" links present on the headerbar, either under the banner, or to the side of it.

Potential problem: As a Crossbones+ member, I can post ads for free. That doesn't really help support the site.

Crossbones+ members should also help moderate the user-submitted ads, and providing feedback to the ad submitters, so moderators/staff wouldn't need to do it entirely by themselves, and also to increase response time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement