🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Kickstarter for non-us company?

Started by
3 comments, last by Unduli 9 years, 9 months ago

Hello, if we are a non-us based company (in europe) and we would like to go with our game to kickstarter, is there any chance for us?

For example, isnt there any company/start up that focus on this issue (helping to start kickstarter projects from non us firms, or is there any workaround? I know about indiegogo etc. but these sites dont get as much exposure as kickstarter...

So is there any chance for us? I would thought that after the few years kickstarter is on? (2-3?) there would be some company that allows somehow non-us firms to "pitch" their project on kickstarter?

Advertisement
Kickstarter also operates in the UK and Australia now.

It's a headache, but not impossible to register a business in one of those countries for the purpose of crowdfunding.
Back when it was US only, someone did post a big guide on registering a Us company, international back account, getting a US lawyer, etc... But I've lost the link :(

Oh yeah, thats right, that UK might be a good solution, even in my country i have heart a lot about the possibility and easiness of setting up an UK company (ltd.)

But i thought, just as a curiosity now because the uk solution would be best for me probably.

Isnt that any company in US set up to deal with this? the team from foreign country signs a deal with that company and the company is a "front man" in kickstarter, that represents the original firm which it will pass all the money (almost all) that is made from kickstarter, im quite suprised nobody had set up such company before, sounds like a good bussiness plan almost :-).

Thanks for the tip on the UK

There was some talk about removing the possibility of getting someone else to create the project, but it doesn't look like they've done it yet. Looking at their creator requirements it seems that you are allowed to get anyone from one of the available countries to start your campaign.

I've never heard of a company specifically creating KS campaigns for other people, but I know teams who have used friends in the states, or lawyer companies to create the campaign.

Not sure how the permanent resident rule bents with the European laws allowing us to live in whatever (EU) country we want.

Seems apart from UK and Netherlands, new four countries of Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Ireland are also eligible for Kickstarting. But if you insist to start a KS campaign from US, afaik you need a company (Delaware one probably) and someone with US citizenship that will arrange Amazon Payments and other legal stuff ( but I am not 100% sure)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement