🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is the BBCODE for [table] working properly in articles?

Started by
6 comments, last by FuzzyBunnySlippers 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm trying to create an article with a bbcode created table in it. When the table is displayed, there is a (very) large gap between the last line of displayed text and where the table starts. Please see the image below:

[attachment=24491:GD_01.png]

Looking at the editor code, I don't see where this gap is coming from:

[attachment=24492:GD_02.png]

I have two tables in my post, the first was just a test table and the second was the actual content. The gap appears to get much larger for the second table, so it may be based on table size. Am I doing something incorrectly?

You can find me at Nonlinear Ideas Inc.

Software Should Be Simple

Advertisement
Hmmm, seems still unfixed

Thanks. I did do a search but couldn't hit the incantation to find this in the forums.

Glad I'm not alone, sad it is still an issue.

Yup, it has been brought up several times.

The gap is as large as the raw code would have been. It is almost as though newlines inside the table are processed once as a bunch of line breaks, and then after the table is done the html for the table is emitted.

Here is that linked table where the raw source is spread across multiple lines. The bug means this should have a big gap between this line and the table below:

[table][tr]

[th]#[/th]

[th]Name

[/th]

[th]Value

[/th]

[/tr]
[tr]

[th]1

[/th]

[td]Color

[/td]

[td]Green

[/td]

[/tr]
[tr]

[th]2[/th]

[td]Distance[/td][td]100m[/td][/tr]
[/table]

In this case I removed all the newlines from the source, making it just one line in the editor.

[table][tr][th]#[/th][th]Name[/th][th]Value[/th][/tr][tr][th]1[/th][td]Color[/td][td]Green[/td][/tr][tr][th]2[/th][td]Distance[/td][td]100m[/td][/tr][/table]

The "solution" is to just keep it all as a single line, like this:

[table][tr][th]#[/th][th]Name[/th][th]Value[/th][/tr][tr][th]1[/th][td]Color[/td][td]Green[/td][/tr][tr][th]2[/th][td]Distance[/td][td]100m[/td][/tr][/table]

Yup, it has been brought up several times.

The gap is as large as the raw code would have been. It is almost as though newlines inside the table are processed once as a bunch of line breaks, and then after the table is done the html for the table is emitted.

Here is that linked table where the raw source is spread across multiple lines. The bug means this should have a big gap between this line and the table below:

[table][tr]

[th]#[/th]

[th]Name

[/th]

[th]Value

[/th]

[/tr]
[tr]

[th]1

[/th]

[td]Color

[/td]

[td]Green

[/td]

[/tr]
[tr]

[th]2[/th]

[td]Distance[/td][td]100m[/td][/tr]
[/table]

In this case I removed all the newlines from the source, making it just one line in the editor.

The "solution" is to just keep it all as a single line, like this:

Whoof...ok...I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Tried it. Seems to work. Editing the text in the table is a "bit" more complicated now. No worries.

It looks like it is interpreting every single carriage return in the table code as a new paragraph that is added above the table. Tables are still ridiculously overcomplicated for this editor.. I know when I tackle articles I usually just screenshot the table and embed it as a figure so I don't have to deal with tables.

It looks like it is interpreting every single carriage return in the table code as a new paragraph that is added above the table. Tables are still ridiculously overcomplicated for this editor.. I know when I tackle articles I usually just screenshot the table and embed it as a figure so I don't have to deal with tables.

This particular article contains links to other sites where developers can find tools that I have found to be handy...so an embedded screen shot, while a good workaround, would probably create an annoying barrier for the developers I am trying to reach.

I am new to this site and hold with its philosophy of positive/constructive feedback. And I also recognize that many if not most of the people who work on this site and maintain it probably have full-time jobs that "pay the bills" (as I do). This is a minor problem, and appears to only be a problem for a few, and there is a workaround, and I got it to work with a little extra effort, once I understood what needed to be done. So I am ok with this outcome.

In the spirit of constructive feedback, from the outside, without this knowledge, this looks like a programming problem. And this is a programming site. Polishing off rough edges is a good way to elevate the "good" to the "great".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement