🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Problem with Guest comments on Dev Journal

Started by
8 comments, last by Gaiiden 9 years, 7 months ago

Hi GameDev,

I'm trying to use my dev journal as a place that beta testers can leave comments about my game. Entry here:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/717/entry-2260298-temple-of-the-abyssal-winds-beta-feedback-thread/

I've got the settings for this journal as:

"Allow guests to post comments in your Journal?" - yes
"Disable comments?" - no
"Approve comments posted on your journal?" - Moderate Guest Comments Only

However, it seems like guests cannot leave comments (or at least it is not obvious how). When I sign out and go to the journal entry, there is no way to comment.

Anything I should change? Or can anything be done about this?

Also, when people do try to make an account to leave a comment, it is not very obvious that you can make an account without paying. I know you guys have expenses, but it is preventing people from leaving helpful comments for me.

Thanks,

Geoff

Advertisement

Also, when people do try to make an account to leave a comment, it is not very obvious that you can make an account without paying. I know you guys have expenses, but it is preventing people from leaving helpful comments for me.

I suppose we could bold the text that plainly explains people can just click the Register button. But that still assumes people actually read things... probably the better option would just be to include another option called "FREE" and have that selected by default.

Mike will have to look into that, as well as the Guest commenting. I think all Guest accounts are simply disabled across the site. We stopped using Guest accounts several years ago for various reasons. If they can be re-enabled just for the Journals, that might be alright.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

If they can be re-enabled just for the Journals, that might be alright.

Have to say, I'm a little hesitant to allow anonymous comments, even limited to the journals. But I guess a test project could work.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The guest comments were disabled because of spammers. Right now we don't have an effective spam prevention measure that would allow us to combat blog spam.

The guest comments were disabled because of spammers. Right now we don't have an effective spam prevention measure that would allow us to combat blog spam.

Well, in this particular case, journal authors have the ability to enable guest comments per-journal. So if they do so then we should notify them to expect spam and let them deal with it (via the setting to moderate guest comments). If it really bothers them they can disable it again. We should make it clear that we won't be able to provide a means to combat the spam.

The main problem with this idea, unfortunately, is that guest commenting appears to be enabled for all journals by default when they are created :/ Unless Mike you have an easy way to flip that flag on all the journals...

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Maybe you could enforce guest comments to be moderated by the journal author?

Maybe you could enforce guest comments to be moderated by the journal author?

Same problem, all journals have moderation turned off by default

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

How much spam are we talking here? If I'm going to get more than a couple of spams a day, I'm not sure I want to moderate comments anyways. In that case, I suppose just making it more obvious that registration is free is probably the best I can hope for.

Thanks,

Geoff

How much spam are we talking here?

Depends on the journal and various factors. When guests were enabled I remember seeing items that had hundreds of spam comments.

How much spam are we talking here?

To elaborate a bit more on what frob said, keep in mind the IPS software is a well-used suite of tools that spambots are very good at targeting. So yea, a good deal of spam would ensue

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement