🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

did anyone ever buy ad space?

Started by
6 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 6 months ago
Hi,

I noticed you were selling ad space on the site. Didn't anyone take you up on this, as the sites ads are still a little odd and not related to game dev? I keep seeing ads for du speed booster for example, an android app, whenever using my phone to browse the forum. Others that sound appealing via "cpmstar" advertiser just give me a blank page when clicked saying I can't download the app in my country (the UK).

Any chance these advertisers can be made more relevant when viewing via mobile?

Thanks!

Edit: just tried clicking another ad for sims freeplay out of curiosity to be presented with "temporary the ad request is unavailable"... These guys seem a bit broken...
Advertisement
The community ads only seem to appear at high resolution. They're still doing the weird responsive ad thing where they switch to generic 'mobile' ads at low resolution. Some of which are quite unscrupulous BTW, doing things like opening the app store without you even having clicked on them...

They're still doing the weird responsive ad thing where they switch to generic 'mobile' ads at low resolution. Some of which are quite unscrupulous BTW, doing things like opening the app store without you even having clicked on them...
PC master race?

But yeah, sounds like an issue.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Yeah, I had one last week that tried to convince me that my phone has a thousand viruses and to install some android rogue av app. It was an actual redirect too that took me off the site. I couldn't duplicate it, typical of drivebys, so didn't report it. When it happens again i will report it...

All the ads now showing are member ads.. we didn't get enough of them to sustain the site but it is worthwhile enough to keep it going for now.

Coming up next week we're lucky enough to be able to host a survey from a company I'm not allowed to name (but if you take the survey you'll figure it out pretty quickly). If we can get enough participation with that one survey we could probably run through the better part of 2015. What's good about the survey is it looks geared towards how the company can improve all the things.. damn I can't say anything about it but it's very targeted towards our audience and a good chance for a LOT of people to share their experiences. Just be ready.. =)

All the ads now showing are member ads.. we didn't get enough of them to sustain the site but it is worthwhile enough to keep it going for now.

That's great to hear! I haven't gotten to buying a membership yet (nothing to advertise just at the moment), but I will as soon as I can. Sorry for my slowness on that front.

Coming up next week we're lucky enough to be able to host a survey from a company I'm not allowed to name (but if you take the survey you'll figure it out pretty quickly). If we can get enough participation with that one survey we could probably run through the better part of 2015. What's good about the survey is it looks geared towards how the company can improve all the things.. damn I can't say anything about it but it's very targeted towards our audience and a good chance for a LOT of people to share their experiences. Just be ready.. =)

Saw the survey, and took it!

I hope you still get paid if I don't put in an e-mail address for the sweepstake?

I'm pleased to take surveys on gamedev: Please, more surveys. I can't speak for others, but it wouldn't bother me to do them weekly. They help the game industry and gamedev, and don't much bother me to do.

How has the response been so far? Can you tell us that much?

Also: Regarding sweepstakes stuff, since I can see how that would encourage some people to reply, maybe you can integrate with user accounts for future surveys so people don't have to enter e-mail addresses?

If I cared about the sweepstake, I would have clicked away after it asked for an e-mail. I may not be alone in this.

My guess is the company would rather have more replies and no e-mail addresses than e-mail addresses and fewer replies.

I also completed the survey.

However I was hesitant to give a third party my email. If it had been gamedev holding that email address on file i would have been happy to provide it, but the survey guys didn't have an obvious data use policy or privacy policy, so all they got was my honest answers - hope that's enough for you guys :)

Yes, if you complete the survey without providing an email address it still helps to support our site -- you just won't go into the draw for the gift cards. We'll certainly do them again if the opportunity arises, but this is the first time we've been approached with such an offer. This current one has a couple of small issues we will probably try to address if we do another in future, but unfortunately with this one already launched and only running for a short time there's nothing additional we can do other than trying to make people aware of it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement