🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Example 'scenario' for plot of story I'm working on.

Started by
1 comment, last by Stumpmaestro 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey, I'm posting a bit of scenario I've worked on in my game but with an eye to keeping the BARE essentials so that it reads easier. I'm wondering if you think:

- the idea is too far flung.

- if it seems like it could build tension effectively.

Because it's very easy to overintellectualize a plot, I want to keep this as effective as possible prior to any addition of symbolism. So here goes:

Setting: A republic, and the oldest civilization in the game world. While modern in governance, deep social baggage from past hierarchies. In the past the government possessed a different format: it was composed of a four-way aristocratic rulership: the sword, shield, voice, and intellect. These four figures collectively ruled the government as one being, and inherited the 'throne' through adoption from the aristocratic and priestly castes (the intellect and voice coming from the priestly, the sword and shield coming from the aristocratic). Each member served a different role in balancing the 'spiritual' aspect of the other. Since a botched revolution, the country gradually stabilized into republicanism.

In the world of today, there is a staunch 'communist' faction that serves as consistent opposition to the ways of old. They believe the modern republic to be doing a terrible job at managing inequities.

Events: So the mystery of this scenario is initiated by the collective assassination of each master of every regional combat school. They are all effectively assassinated. The government enlists your aid in discovering the culprit- of course, they are very strong to have killed each one. You get the opportunity to have a party member join you in aiding your search- this party member being a government aide. Of course, everybody suspects the communist faction for they are the most 'anti-tradition' and encourage the liberal use of new technologies with certain reservations.

You meet the head of the communist faction, and he has no idea who could have done this and even fears the possible outcomes. Of course he 'welcomes' their demise, but understands that if his faction has not done it, whoever has is certain to be feared. Your new party member butts heads with him though, driving a wedge between the two that exacerbates your ability to find the killer of these folks.

Dramatic tension and resolution: As it turns out though, the one who killed them all was historically the last sword of the old government- preserved alive for this moment (A LOT of plot behind this). The irony is that the person most likely to 'preserve' the old ways is responsible for the purest representation of the same. He and the communist leader get into a debate about what the future and the 'best' way to live entails. The communist leader realizes that even the sword does not think too differently, but is shattered by disillusionment. After dealing with the last sword he joins you so that he can learn more- also leading to character development between him and the member who joined earlier.

____

To those who read through the whole thing, do you think that it sports an effective 'arc'? Do I need more information about the reaction of other characters to 'make it work' (which I plan on doing)? Is it too 'far-flung' to take seriously (or is that something which will come to light when I build the rest of the world?)

Thoughts appreciated- thank you VERY much in advance.

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

Advertisement

do you think that it sports an effective 'arc'?

This is a great arc for your game, I find that most game developers bite off more than thy can chew, adding to much complexity and every thing ends up half baked.

With a plot like this you could really look into how the mechanics can help to tell the story, maybe something like adding a character from each rulership path with restrictions based on there rulership.

This is also a great opportunity to develop the world, if you intend on returning to it.

Remember that newcomers to any world is only interested in flashy top part, it's long time players who find background info interesting.

if it seems like it could build tension effectively.

I don't think this arc is the best for building tension, drama works for building tension.

A hero faced with a ticking bomb causes some tension, a threat hanging over everyone if the danger isn't stopped also works.

These feel cheap because thy are cheep, thy are simple effective ways to hook players while you tell them the story. This doesn't mean thy are bad Lord of the Rings used the looming threat to a great effect and many great action movies use time bombs.

do you think that it sports an effective 'arc'?

This is a great arc for your game, I find that most game developers bite off more than thy can chew, adding to much complexity and every thing ends up half baked.

With a plot like this you could really look into how the mechanics can help to tell the story, maybe something like adding a character from each rulership path with restrictions based on there rulership.

This is also a great opportunity to develop the world, if you intend on returning to it.

Remember that newcomers to any world is only interested in flashy top part, it's long time players who find background info interesting.

This is probably the most useful advice ever. The flashy part will be emphasized in terms of the 'diversity' and 'different culture' you encounter. Pacing and implementation versus overpadding.

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement