🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I am beginning to hate the IT and gaming industry.

Started by
93 comments, last by blueshogun96 9 years ago

Thanks, it sounding good so far. RealNetworks seems quite receptive of lesser experienced individuals in exchange for their passion.

I got shot down by Starbucks again. They said they liked me, but lacked SQL experience. I never have any use for it, so I never got around to learning it. Oh well, at least Starbucks is pretty cool when it comes to constructive criticism.

Shogun.

Advertisement
Database concepts in general and SQL in particular are pretty important to learn. You're probably shutting yourself out of a LOT of job opportunities without it.

You're probably shutting yourself out of a LOT of job opportunities without it.

The problem here is its a chicken and egg situation. He needs commercial experience with sql and personal experience won't cut it. Until he's had commercial experience with it nobody will hire him s experienced in it, so its a matter of waiting for that one first opportunity...

He needs commercial experience with sql and personal experience won't cut it.

If that is true, then do some contract work. As long as someone is signing a company cheque over to you at the end, it can be spun as professional work. Non-profits can also be useful in this regard.

Depending on the interviewer, actual professional experience may not be necessary. Whether you really know databases, or have just skimmed SQL, is the kind of thing a proficient interviewer can ascertain in seconds.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

He needs commercial experience with sql and personal experience won't cut it.

If that is true, then do some contract work. As long as someone is signing a company cheque over to you at the end, it can be spun as professional work. Non-profits can also be useful in this regard.

Depending on the interviewer, actual professional experience may not be necessary. Whether you really know databases, or have just skimmed SQL, is the kind of thing a proficient interviewer can ascertain in seconds.

And that's exactly what I'm doing, contract work. You don't get a contract without the professional experience in general. My SQL experience is minimal, and I did use it a few times on my last job. That's how I managed to get through. Interviewers rarely count personal experience with ANYTHING.

I think SQL can be an exception sometimes since it's not terribly difficult. Although since I've touched base on it before, there's no way I can personally tell.

Shogun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement