🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Saving in Windows

Started by
2 comments, last by Ronald Forbes 24 years, 5 months ago
I feel like someone just asked this question but I''ll ask anyways! Say I have a RPG like ff3-6. Therefore, my character will have some stats such as HP, MP, strength, Stamina, etc. How could I save those stats and the progress in the story? Can i use fstream in windows or is there a better way? Thanx, Ronald Download Complete. "YESSSSSS! The DirectX 7 SDK is finally MINE!! After 3 days of waiting, I have finally successfully downloaded this huge file. Now, I'll just fire up Winzip and... Illegal Fault. CURSES, MICROSOFT, CURSES!"
C:DOSC:DOSRUNRUN DOSRUN
Advertisement
Well, someone did ask that question, but darned if I can find the topic again, so I don''t blame you for posting.

Basically take a struct with all your stats and other data you want to save and dump it to a file.

typedef struct _tagData {
int blah;
char blahblah;
float blahblahblah;
} Data;

Data save_data;
FILE * fp = fopen("save.game", "wb");
if (fp == NULL) {
printf("File system barfed.\n");
return -1;
}
char * ptr = (char *)&save_data;
for (i = 0; i < sizeof(save_data); i++) {
fputc(fp, *ptr);
ptr++;
}
fclose(fp);

Though now that I think of it, search for BlahBlahBlah, and you might find the old post.
Thanx alot! Do i have to include anything?

Download Complete. "YESSSSSS! The DirectX 7 SDK is finally MINE!! After 3 days of waiting, I have finally successfully downloaded this huge file. Now, I'll just fire up Winzip and... Illegal Fault. CURSES, MICROSOFT, CURSES!"
C:DOSC:DOSRUNRUN DOSRUN
Those file functions are in stdio.h. The code was off the top of my head, so I probably won''t compile on the first try though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement