🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2d dystopian art styles

Started by
1 comment, last by EliteIntegrity 9 years, 5 months ago
Hi,

I am in the early stages of planning a 2d platformer. I am looking for advice and inspiration to help choose an art style.

So what style, perhaps some specific examples of games makes for a really oppressive, forboding dystopia. To be more specific about the dystopian world I want to create, it is more a kind of big brother state, all powerfull government kind of dystopia as opposed to zombies, plague or natural disaster type thing.

I have images in my mind with a kind of a kind of cold, ruthless, all peolple are just a number 1960's soviet thing going on.

But I would like to see games that have done something simmilar or any advice.

Many thanks.
Advertisement

1984 the game? That's interesting. If technology is involved, I would recommend looking into the cyberpunk genre. If you google that term, you'll see a lot of images with blues, grays, and black as the general color scheme, and you could use that as a reference for your own (warm vs cool colors can help convey tone).

I think this list might be relevant to what you're looking for: http://www.giantbomb.com/dystopian-world/3015-591/games/ . Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex (anime series) comes to mind, but I think the government in that story is mostly good if I remember correctly. Final Fantasy VII might be a video game example. I don't really know of many games like that which aren't related to natural disasters, plagues, etc.

On Rye

Thankyou. Yes kind of 1984 the game. I was going to use that in the question but wasn't sure of my likely respondents and didn't want to limit replies.

Interesting leads from your ideas. I am now thinking that conveying the atmosphere I want with the simple game engine I have in mind is probably impossible. But perhaps the cutscene/pop up character conversation windows could succeed in doing so.

Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement