🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Forum Broken?

Started by
9 comments, last by wintertime 9 years, 4 months ago
Am I the only one who sees the forums like this?

http://i.imgur.com/ZE979Z5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/o82XDJr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LaqKKnT.jpg

It's been like this for the last 2 days for me. Every other website, every other forum, every other social platform, they all work for me. It's only GDNet that's doing this to me. Why?

Can someone explain this to me?

The homepage works, and browsing threads and boards works to some degree. By "some degree" I mean icons are missing, and weird stretching occurs, as can be seen here:

http://i.imgur.com/DRNtxPH.jpg

That last screenshot has always been the case for me, not only since the last 2 days. The forum has always stretched and missed icons like that.

$ uname -a
3.17.7-gentoo #1 SMP Sun Feb 1 05:45:15 CET 2015 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

$ eix google-chrome
[?] www-client/google-chrome
Available versions: ~40.0.2214.94_p1^msd {+plugins LINGUAS="+am +ar +bg +bn +ca +cs +da +de +el +en_GB +es +es_LA +et +fa +fi +fil +fr +gu +he +hi +hr +hu +id +it +ja +kn +ko +lt +lv +ml +mr +ms +nb +nl +pl +pt_BR +pt_PT +ro +ru +sk +sl +sr +sv +sw +ta +te +th +tr +uk +vi +zh_CN +zh_TW"}
Installed versions: 39.0.2171.95_p1^msd(18:24:17 19/12/14)(plugins LINGUAS="en_GB -am -ar -bg -bn -ca -cs -da -de -el -es -es_LA -et -fa -fi -fil -fr -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -id -it -ja -kn -ko -lt -lv -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -sw -ta -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW")
"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
Advertisement
For me everything works fine (latest Chrome on Windows 8.1).

It looks like some of the content -- specifically stylesheets and some images -- isn't correctly loading for you for some reason.

I haven't personally experienced anything similar recently, and I can't think of any recent changes on our end that might be responsible. Is anyone else experiencing the same or similar issues?

Have you tried clearing your browser cache and reloading the page?

You haven't changed any browser settings or installed new extensions recently? Do the Invision Power Services forums look correct (trying to diagnose if it's something about the software)?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Have no troubles here Win 8.1 Chrome

I once had this a few weeks ago, too. Probably the css file did load too slowly when opening the forum and then the browser used the empty/broken cached version.
Simply using Ctrl+F5 to reload fixed it.
I've tried clearing my browser cache, I've tried using a different browser (firefox, opera) and I also tried it on a different operating system (Win7) on the same computer - this is a dual boot - all to no avail. Is it possible that it could have something to do with my internet provider?
"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

Open developer tools in browser and see the net tab for what milisecs amount it displays for css and other file requests, or wheather you recieve them at all. Might be that your provider agregates you too much and conectivity to gamedev server is too low and the server drops you for "reading him too slowly"

Have you recently installed any ad blocking software?

Have you recently installed any ad blocking software?

I use adblock, but I've had it installed for ages. Nevertheless, I tried disabling it on this site and now GDNet is super fast and everything is fixed.

This doesn't make sense to me, though, because firefox didn't have adblock installed and GDNet was broken there. It works in Firefox now for whatever reason, I swear I didn't change anything. o.O

Adblock gets its filter rules from a list which auto update. Perhaps chrome was using a different list to Firefox which recently had some dumb rule added?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement