🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

rpg

Started by
0 comments, last by deakin 24 years, 5 months ago
Hi - I''m currently making a small tile-based rpg and I was wondering what the best way to manage interaction with objects in the game would be. I''ve thought of either defining all of the objects properties in a separate file, or just coding what they will do into the program. Coding it would be easier but by putting it into a file I could use my engine again. What would be best? Thanks
- DanielMy homepage
Advertisement
Well, much of it depends on the size of your game. The trend in larger games recently is scripting languages, since scripts can be modified without changing the game engine (among many other things).

Generally, you want to stay away of such specific details in your game engine. In this case, your file idea would be better. Still, it all depends on the game and what you are trying to do. Obviously, there has to be a balnace between the amount of work you put into a system and what you get out of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement