🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Short AngelScript Capability Question

Started by
0 comments, last by WitchLord 9 years, 4 months ago

Short Version:
Can I use Angelscript to call certain Windows executables (i.e., somehow, replicating the command line)? Or, does AngelScript provide a better solution for the issue at hand?

The Bigger Picture:
Enhance a lovely older Windows app; BeatHarness is an audio-visualizer using AngelScript functions to determine what content/effects to display.
Can Angelscript display *other* content generated by projectM (AKA Milkdrop, another music visualizer - http://sourceforge.net/projects/projectm/ )?
The high level features list seems to indicate that it may be possible. Ideally, some a new function already exists to make that happen.

Windows uses VLC to display projectM content, whereas a pile of simple command line .bat files usually work just fine (to choose screens minimize-maximize the windows, choose specific presets, etc.). But perhaps there’s a better more efficient, more Angelscript-friendly way to do so? ProjectM uses OpenGL? Does that matter?

Thanks in Advance. It’s cool to see such a durable passionate commited community built through this platform.

Advertisement

Hi dee,

AngelScript is not a standalone language. It is used inside applications to allow users of that application to programmatically access functionality provided by the application. It is not possible for AngelScript to do anything other than what the application allows.

It is quite possible for an application to allow scripts to call other Windows executables. The asrun sample that I provide in the SDK shows how this can be done.

Ah, BeatHarness. It was one of the first applications to use AngelScript. It's too bad Lennart appears to have stopped developing it. I'm not sure you'll be able to enhance BeatHarness unless you manage to get in touch with Lennart and get him to share the source code.

Regards,

Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement