🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AngelScript 2.30.0 is here

Started by
-1 comments, last by WitchLord 9 years, 4 months ago

It's been almost exactly 4 months since the last release. This is longest period I've gone without making a new release since this project started back in 2003. This does not mean that development has slowed down though, I merely restrained myself from releasing the code so I could fit more improvements into it. If you take a peek at the change log you'll see that this is by far the largest update too.

As always, when I change the middle version number there are some changes in the interface. The changes are not dramatic, but might require some minor code changes. The most dramatic change in the interface is the removal of the behaviours asBEHAVE_REF_CAST and asBEHAVE_VALUE_CAST (+implicit versions). These behaviours should now be registered as object methods with the names opCast and opConv, respectively. The implementation of the functions in the application doesn't change, just how they are registered with the engine.

I've improved the internal memory management so that less objects will be placed in the garbage collector. This translates into improved performance as less CPU will be required to clean up the dead objects in the GC. The change will perhaps not be too noticeable at runtime, but during recompilation of scripts and engine shutdown you should definitely see a significant improvement.

The script language has gotten some improvements too. The ternary condition operator can now be used as lvalue (as long as both options are lvalues of the same type). Script classes can implement the opCast and opConv operator overloads. Compound assignments can now be used with virtual properties too. Class members can be declared as protected, with the same meaning as in other languages.

There are of course enhancements in the add-ons too, but I'll leave the discovery of those to the reader.

Regards,

Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement