🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Saw a job listing for a gaming company, but not exactly game development.

Started by
2 comments, last by Buster2000 9 years, 4 months ago

Said company is looking for a web programmer to help maintain their website. My main career has been in web dev but I do a lot of hobby game programming on the side. The company in question is not an AAA studio, but a somewhat large indie. If I was a web developer for that company would this count as having game industry experience? Or is it as much a game industry job as a HR/front desk job for a gaming company (meaning almost no game industry connection)?

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Advertisement

If I was a web developer for that company would this count as having game industry experience?

That depends. Would you be embedded in the company, exposed daily to the people who make games and the process of making games? If so, then yes.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If the web site is more than just a barebones "About Us / Contact Info" site like most game studios have, then it might be worth it. If it's a huge site which hosts web games and has infrastructure for game-related activities, then definitely. If it doesn't really have anything to do with the games themselves, then I wouldn't really count it as game development experience.

Either way, if the job involves working on-site, you may be able to switch roles to a game team eventually - if you can prove to them that you have the skills they want.

It depends on the company a lot of the smaller companies are a lot more freeform than AAA companies and most will happily let you choose which project you wish to work on. If you show an aptitude for game programming and they have a need for a programmer then they'd be foolish not to give you a shot rather than going through the process of hiring somebody.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement