🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting fresh

Started by
7 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 3 months ago

Hi,

I'm moving into a managerial position soon, in a new organisation. It's been a while!

I'm building my agenda for things to do when I get in, and a lot of it will have to do with observation, and meeting/listening to people in place.

That being said, I'd like to come prepared and have a better idea of common 'shortcomings' that people might be faced with (knowing fully these may/may not apply to the people I will be meeting with, based on the organisation's flaws and strengths).

My question is that I'd like to know a bit more about other people's experience of managers in general, and things that irritate them. I realize it is very broad, but I believe having a broader understanding of people's frustrations might help me be more sensible to what I hear and try to figure out solutions, etc.

Any particular recurring managerial issues any of you have been faced with (be it manager behavior or practices)?

Thanks

Advertisement
Any particular recurring managerial issues any of you have been faced with (be it manager behavior or practices)?

I think you're going to see a theme in my bullets...

• Opaque planning is bad. It's really nice to know when and why plans are going to likely change. It's frustrating to no end to have work scrapped due to seemingly random planning. It's even worse to have constant "emergencies" where X is now the most important thing to get done.
  • Changing deadlines is bad, but no deadlines can be worse. Make sure there's a plan, and that everyone's making progress, and that you have deliverable laid out to try and catch "not fun" or "not the right style" long before anyone wastes time polishing it. Games are dynamic, in that you're often searching for what is "fun", so make sure you have plenty of deliverables like "Friday play testing with the team!" before hitting the drop dead date on "we have to have _something_ finalized for the demo build".
  • Lack of cross-discipline planning. Artists should not have polished art before someone puts it into the game. Gameplay should not be expected to have polished gameplay without any help from art. Sound shouldn't be left for last. Make sure people are on the same page for building prototypes, polishing work together, and making a whole presentation.

Go read Peopleware.

The third edition is now out: http://www.amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Teams-Edition/dp/0321934113/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Go read Peopleware.

Some other good ones are The Mythical Man-Month, The Peter Principle, Parkinson's Law, How To Work For A Jerk.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson8.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Don't set everything in stone.

Be open to criticism.

Don't withhold information from your team. (within reason)

Actually this works from the other side too smile.png

Demand changes if neccessary.

Criticise unoptimal behaviour early and fairly.

Inform yourself regulary on what's going on.

Also: Don't be a dick.

Are you talking about people managers, or about task managers?

Sometimes a person has the job of both, other times that gets split where one person manages the tasks that are worked on and ensuring schedules are met (often mingled with the job of a producer) while the other manages the people involved, the human element rather than the task element.

For both of them, good team managers serve as a filter for the team from the rest of the organization.

They are the linebacker. When someone comes to the team, your job is to tackle the incoming requester to the ground and prevent them from reaching your star players. You stop them from going through, intercept their request, search for ways to avoid the request, and only if necessary add the request to the future work backlog.

For the people managers, good team leaders are constantly looking for feedback to improve processes. Part of this means frequent one-on-one meetings with each person on your team. Encourage them to give you feedback about you and your job even if it is negative. Hold the meeting weekly if you can, every other week if you absolutely cannot. Schedule enough time that you can work out all the concerns, even the minor concerns, about illness in the family, dealing with anything and everything the team member feels has any importance at all. Even discussions about their hobbies outside of work, that is important. At the end of the meeting you should be discussing things like movies and sports events. If you don't reach that point, if you're still talking about workplace concerns or life concerns or work/life balance concerns, the one-on-one needs to keep going.

Part of improving the process means making experiments and listening to suggestions. If the team is currently using some software to run their sprints and they suggest moving to a paper version, consider spending the money to get a giant magnetic board put up, investing in a thousand magnets and bunches of cards, and going with that suggestion for a few months. Or reverse of that, if they express interest in moving to a specific software because they claim it will do better, be willing to improve the process on their behalf.

Be seen fighting for them in all causes. While you are defending them from other parts of the organization so they can do their job, you are also their spokesman and advocate in getting changes made for them. For either side, managing tasks or managing people, everyone in the organization should know that you are the advocate for the team; you will staunchly defend them from feature creep, you will aggressively slash and cut to reduce things down to reasonable scope. And don't you dare ask the team for overtime when you cannot be there. The fastest way to losing all moral authority with a team is to tell them to work but you be missing. If they're working overtime it means you are there with donuts in the morning, dinner at night, and large boquets of flowers for them to give their wives or girlfriends as consolation. (Yes, seriously. Find out who has a significant other and provide them with two dozen roses)

Then read the books Tom suggested and do the opposite of the bad things listed in them.

Are you talking about people managers, or about task managers?

Sometimes a person has the job of both, other times that gets split where one person manages the tasks that are worked on and ensuring schedules are met (often mingled with the job of a producer) while the other manages the people involved, the human element rather than the task element.

For both of them, good team managers serve as a filter for the team from the rest of the organization.

They are the linebacker. When someone comes to the team, your job is to tackle the incoming requester to the ground and prevent them from reaching your star players. You stop them from going through, intercept their request, search for ways to avoid the request, and only if necessary add the request to the future work backlog.

For the people managers, good team leaders are constantly looking for feedback to improve processes. Part of this means frequent one-on-one meetings with each person on your team. Encourage them to give you feedback about you and your job even if it is negative. Hold the meeting weekly if you can, every other week if you absolutely cannot. Schedule enough time that you can work out all the concerns, even the minor concerns, about illness in the family, dealing with anything and everything the team member feels has any importance at all. Even discussions about their hobbies outside of work, that is important. At the end of the meeting you should be discussing things like movies and sports events. If you don't reach that point, if you're still talking about workplace concerns or life concerns or work/life balance concerns, the one-on-one needs to keep going.

Part of improving the process means making experiments and listening to suggestions. If the team is currently using some software to run their sprints and they suggest moving to a paper version, consider spending the money to get a giant magnetic board put up, investing in a thousand magnets and bunches of cards, and going with that suggestion for a few months. Or reverse of that, if they express interest in moving to a specific software because they claim it will do better, be willing to improve the process on their behalf.

Be seen fighting for them in all causes. While you are defending them from other parts of the organization so they can do their job, you are also their spokesman and advocate in getting changes made for them. For either side, managing tasks or managing people, everyone in the organization should know that you are the advocate for the team; you will staunchly defend them from feature creep, you will aggressively slash and cut to reduce things down to reasonable scope. And don't you dare ask the team for overtime when you cannot be there. The fastest way to losing all moral authority with a team is to tell them to work but you be missing. If they're working overtime it means you are there with donuts in the morning, dinner at night, and large boquets of flowers for them to give their wives or girlfriends as consolation. (Yes, seriously. Find out who has a significant other and provide them with two dozen roses)

Then read the books Tom suggested and do the opposite of the bad things listed in them.

I was mostly focusing on the `couple first days` here, though I agree with all of your points. Sadly, nothing new there for me (though it is a constant struggle).

The one thing I settled upon is trying to fit in 1on1s as early as possible (I always find it hard to have a feel of everybody within the first 2 weeks, but somehow, I always find it extremely valuable).

I always find it hard to have a feel of everybody within the first 2 weeks

I have a theory. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years.
For the first 3 days in a new job you fear you're going to be found out to be a total fraud.
After the first 3 days you are just feeling out your new surroundings, getting to know the people and the job.
After the 3rd week, you feel like you're settling into it.
After the 3rd month, you feel like you totally belong.
After the 3rd year, you feel like you own the place.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I always find it hard to have a feel of everybody within the first 2 weeks

I have a theory. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years.
For the first 3 days in a new job you fear you're going to be found out to be a total fraud.
After the first 3 days you are just feeling out your new surroundings, getting to know the people and the job.
After the 3rd week, you feel like you're settling into it.
After the 3rd month, you feel like you totally belong.
After the 3rd year, you feel like you own the place.

I think I can get behind that.

I tend not to make any hasty judgement calls before the end of the 3rd month actually, so that's great.

So, heregoes, the first 3 (awkward) days!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement