🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rendering a texture atlas of spaceships that aren't the same size

Started by
2 comments, last by Thaumaturge 9 years, 3 months ago

Hello. I'm modeling various spaceships for a third-person space shooter, and I've run into an issue with rendering. Parts of the larger spaceships (such as the wings or the cockpit) are out of the camera's bounds. I need to be able to capture the entire model, including its 360 degree rotation on the Y-axis.

The first solution that crossed my mind was to move the camera farther away to capture the entire model...but because it's set to perspective, the larger spaceship will actually appear smaller than it should. How can I fix this? I haven't figured out how to change the camera's parameters to give it a wider viewing range, and I don't want to move the camera from it's current position because I want all of the spaceships to be rendered from the same angle and perspective.

Advertisement

Well I'm not that familiar with Blender, but in Maya you can easily change the resolution you want to use to render. Just find Blender's render settings and I'm sure there you can change the resolution as well.

Under the camera settings you will find a setting called Focal Length and beside it a drop down tab named Millimeters.

Switch the Millimeters tab to Field of view and change the setting to around 65 degrees.

I'm inclined to suggest changing the field of view as Scouting Ninja suggests (albeit that you might want to experiment with the right value for your situation), and adjusting the output image size to compensate (after all, a larger ship should presumably produce a larger image). This second step can be done in the "Render" tab (the leftmost in my version, I believe) of the "Properties" view: in the section labelled "Dimensions", look for the values labelled "Resolution".

If your texture atlas requires images all of the same size, then consider either increasing that size (and either re-rendering or relocating on the atlas any ships that you may already have rendered such that they remain the same size within their new "windows"), or rendering the bigger ship in pieces and reassembling it in your game.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement