🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is AP Computer Science Worth It?

Started by
8 comments, last by ericrrichards22 9 years, 2 months ago

So I'm wondering whether I should take this class when it's available to me in 10th grade... If you don't know what AP Computer Science is, it's a college course you take in high school that teaches you Java. I've been told by people that have taken it it's total hell, mostly due to teachers not teaching the content on the tests (I'm pretty sure that the tests are pre-written based off the curriculum). If anyone has taken it before, can you give me a bit of advice here? I live in Georgia (United States) if it helps out.

What will you make?
Advertisement

I've been told by people that have taken it it's total hell, mostly due to teachers not teaching the content on the tests

That would almost certainly depend on your school rather than being something you can generalise to the course everywhere. Have you heard from people who have taken the course at your school, or from elsewhere?

Does it cost you extra to take the course?

What other opportunities will you have to give up to take the course?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I've been told by people that have taken it it's total hell, mostly due to teachers not teaching the content on the tests

That would almost certainly depend on your school rather than being something you can generalise to the course everywhere. Have you heard from people who have taken the course at your school, or from elsewhere?

Does it cost you extra to take the course?

What other opportunities will you have to give up to take the course?

There's a fee I think. But the person that told me it was hell goes to an extremely prestigious high school that's based more around computers and STEM in general rather than sports or art. I'll lose 1 slot for an elective.

What will you make?
I'll lose 1 slot for an elective.

Is there an elective that you would be likely to take in that slot if you don't take the AP class?

Consider your costs. Obviously that includes an up-front fee if there is one. It may also include course materials (books, software, etc.), travel costs (if applicable), etc. Do you think these costs are worthwhile?

You also need to consider opportunity cost; by taking this class you may miss out on the opportunity to do something else -- in this case probably another elective class, or maybe (depending on how your school works) a free slot in which you could potentially spend more time studying for other classes. Do you think the AP class would be more worthwhile than whatever you would likely do with the time instead? Don't forget that opportunity cost will also include time spent studying at home if the workload for the AP class will be more time consuming that your alternative, as well as additional travel time if you would need to go elsewhere at any point.

I did take a similar class in high-school (it was called an "enhancement module", and involved taking a couple of classes at uni whilst I was going years 11 and 12) and found mine to be valuable, as it gave me a head start when I actually went to university and also gave me a bonus to the score used to get into uni in Australia. Obviously your situation may be different, so you should consider what advantages may be available from taking the class.

- Jason Astle-Adams

The long and short of it is that as far as high school courses go, it's one of the most useful and pretty universally accepted at colleges.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I'll lose 1 slot for an elective.

Is there an elective that you would be likely to take in that slot if you don't take the AP class?

Consider your costs. Obviously that includes an up-front fee if there is one. It may also include course materials (books, software, etc.), travel costs (if applicable), etc. Do you think these costs are worthwhile?

You also need to consider opportunity cost; by taking this class you may miss out on the opportunity to do something else -- in this case probably another elective class, or maybe (depending on how your school works) a free slot in which you could potentially spend more time studying for other classes. Do you think the AP class would be more worthwhile than whatever you would likely do with the time instead? Don't forget that opportunity cost will also include time spent studying at home if the workload for the AP class will be more time consuming that your alternative, as well as additional travel time if you would need to go elsewhere at any point.

I did take a similar class in high-school (it was called an "enhancement module", and involved taking a couple of classes at uni whilst I was going years 11 and 12) and found mine to be valuable, as it gave me a head start when I actually went to university and also gave me a bonus to the score used to get into uni in Australia. Obviously your situation may be different, so you should consider what advantages may be available from taking the class.

I think the only cost is the initial fee. I believe the school provides textbooks and software. And I also made a mistake, I have 3 total elective slots, so this'll leave me with 2.

What will you make?

What elective course would you not take if you decided to take this course instead?

If nothing else seems particularly interesting to take instead I would say go for it. Also keep in mind schools aren't all the same smile.png

I know when applying to Southern Polytechnic State University I wasn't at any particular disadvantage for not having the credit. Honestly I don't even think it was considered since most of the students did not have it at the time. My high school didn't even offer it until last year I think? It was focused primarily on science, math, and reading (i.e. college prep) over courses like CS or engineering.

SPSU at the time also capped how many courses the AP credit would apply for. Some students came in with 2 CS credits but at most you could only skip one of two introductory classes. From a purely credit standpoint that 2nd AP credit wasn't ever applied to anything. In order to get the 2nd course exempted it required a standard test you had to take. This resulted it in being marked as exempt rather than an AP class. Everyone I knew ended up taking both courses anyway, since it was suggested you do so in case you missed anything in HS.

As far as if you should or should not take it - it's rather hard to say. For me personally I don't think it made any difference had I taken it or not. There was never a time where I felt it would have helped me greatly.. except maybe pre-first semester anxiety about my skill laugh.png. For others they said it made a huge difference in that first year, but really by the 3rd semester it became pretty much irrelevant.

If you have the interest and a few hundred dollars for AP exam I say go for it. If you feel based off the opinions of friends that took it that it isn't for you, don't fret over it too much smile.png But if I had to choose between something like Art.. and AP CS... Definitely the CS one cool.png

If it interests you and you can learn something, it has value. If you intend to go to college it can be leveraged into some cash value. There may be more valuable things available to you, but that is something we cannot tell.

For me, it was valuable along with many other valuable decisions I made at that point in my life.

I loaded up heavy on AP courses during high school, which were accepted as college credit after paying a small fee. It may or may not still be a program, but back in the day those passing five AP courses were automatically granted a small scholarship. I also took summer classes at a community college through a program they offered to high school students for just $20 per summer. Also being one of those nerdy smart kids, I studied a lot of things on my own.

Combine the advance placement tests, the summer community college credits that transferred, and a few CLEP tests, and I was able to start my first year of school with 1.5 years of credits and with a 4.0 grade point average, plus a half-tuition scholarship and some smaller cash value scholarships. The AP exams were $72 each at the time and were accepted as 3 credit hours, and the community college transfer credits were $10 per credit hour since the university and community college were working with the same program, compared to hundreds of dollars and several months to take the courses at the university level.

I still stuck through the full length of schooling so I could pick up as many courses as possible in topics that interested me, but even so, those choices saved me (and my family) many thousands of dollars in academic costs.

The college that I attended stopped accepting the AP CS test for credit after my freshman year, but I managed to get out of a boring introductory Java course because of it.

In high school, I worked through the Deitel & Deitel C++ and Java books (the monstrously heavy ones with all the bees), which made taking the test very easy. It may have changed since then, but if you can understand data structures at all, it's a breeze - I seem to remember that half of the test was about binary trees when I took it.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement