🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about reputation system

Started by
15 comments, last by frob 9 years, 2 months ago

It's not false. You can look at a member's reputation as well as their up and down votes in their profile. He down votes a lot and many times for questionable reasons and without comment. I didn't just spout off some random and unfounded accusation.

It is false.

The first page of his reputation listing currently shows 10 down votes and 5 up votes (2nd page has the same ratio). While that's certainly a lot more down voting than up voting, it's clearly false to indicate that he only down votes.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Advertisement

Then a poor choice of wording on my part, but a 2:1 down vote to up vote ratio is HIGHLY suspicious. I find more posts to up vote than to down vote and will only down vote truly poor quality posts. I am not the only person to notice this behavior with DoctorGlow.

Then a poor choice of wording on my part, but a 2:1 down vote to up vote ratio is HIGHLY suspicious. I find more posts to up vote than to down vote and will only down vote truly poor quality posts. I am not the only person to notice this behavior with DoctorGlow.

That might be the case, but I felt the up votes shouldn't go ignored. It was just the wording that made me react.

Hello to all my stalkers.

I am known for my poor choice of wording. For me, the inclusion of the word "only" is equivalent to typing "the" twice and not catching it! What it meant to me was not the same as what it meant to you. It was an accidental substitution for "mostly". I didn't catch it because it read correctly to me. Sorry about that.

Lets not turn this into a witch hunt, please.

There's nothing wrong with a user that only votes down, so long as there is no pattern of abuse (and there doesn't seem to be here).

Lets not turn this into a witch hunt, please.

That was absolutely not my intention. I found that DoctorGlow down voted stonehat and I typed the wrong word which led to an unintentional argument.

I will say that down voting a new member on an valid post, as I've seen DoctorGlow do (not in this case though), without cause, goes against the spirit of the reputation system.

While I cannot speak for why you were downvoted, I can give my own opinion on the quality of the posts, and what I would do to make them better.

For the initial shadow mapping topic post, embedding it in code blocks would have helped readability. I tend to do that at about 3 lines, usually. You can either use the angle bracket button that looks like <> or you can use the board tag [code]code goes here[/code] if you are using bbcode markup.

For your followup #4 you revised your original question rather than adding new information. While it was good that you pointed out it was an edit to the original question, it would have been better if you just added new information on a new post. Usually editing is for something you notice immediately after posting such as spelling or grammar errors, not for changes after others have replied. It is bad form to modify questions after others have written some answers or otherwise followed up. You also wrote down assumptions that changes had no effect, which sometimes is not true; you may not notice the effect of a change, but it can mask other issues.

For the original most efficient method post, that's the kind of factual question Google will readily answer, and generally you aren't looking for "most efficient" for that sort of thing, but "easiest to use". Not enough to downvote for, but something I'd recommend searching for yourself (and learning the answer) rather than asking to be spoon-fed answers.

And finally... you've only got 3 posts outside of this thread. That is WAY too early to be worrying about reputation. Reputation is a general gauge. Perhaps after ten or twenty posts you'll see a pattern of +1 or -1 on various posts. Usually providing answers is what gets the upvotes. When you've had a few hundred posts and start ANSWERING rather than ASKING questions, reputations skyrocket.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement