🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help making a decision on game art

Started by
4 comments, last by TruStory187 9 years, 1 month ago

The game I'm trying to make is a turn based tactics game (they're my favorite genre right now--like vandal hearts and final fantasy tactics) ...

Anyway, getting reliable artists and programmers for an indie game is problematic at best and a nightmare at worst.

So I'm trying to decide if I should use sprites that are 4 directions like in most J-style RPGs; or if I should go more vandal hearts and use front-facing and rear-facing 3/4 view sprite sets. Either way facing indicators will be used to avoid any problems with the isometric battle ground.

Any thoughts which styles are better or more pleasing?

Advertisement

Anyway, getting reliable artists and programmers for an indie game is problematic at best and a nightmare at worst.

So I'm trying to decide if I should use sprites that are 4 directions like in most J-style RPGs

If you can't get your hands on a dedicated artist, I would sugguest to take the most inexpensive solution.

If you expierience with 3D art, you might also consider a simple 3D style.

Overhead is a little bit higher at first than creating 2D assets, but the more complex your 2D art gets (amount animation phases, amount of directions in isometric games), the more a 3D solutions becomes on par or even the faster solution.

Add to that the fact that you can get an infinite amount of directions as well as smooth transitions between it. Chuck in a good cell shader and well made animations, and your players might have difficulty to tell the 3D elements apart from the 2D ones (until the too smooth animation frame transitions give it away :) )

Of course, without 3D art knowledge you will face some learning curve, so if you are already a capable 2D artist that might not be the best solution.

Ill second the 3d art suggestion. 2d games rendered in 3d make lots of things simpler. (Use unity or ue4)

Unless you have a pixel artist, chances are you would render pixel art from 3d models anyhow. There are also lots of (non-animated) free 3d models on blendswap and 3d warehouse you can use as stand in art.

Unless you are doing a flat side-scroller (angry birds) once you want animations or effects on objects, 3d becomes easier to manage than massive geometric sprite sheets.

I dont recommend trying to create your own 3d models, but you should learn to use blender to import/modify/export and maybe do simple rigging and animations. Eventually indie artists can make better models.

Check out the game Duelyst. It is a card/turn based game where you move troops and perform actions. It is done 100% in 2d and with limited animations. It plays well and fits exactly what you are describing.

The game I'm trying to make is a turn based tactics game (they're my favorite genre right now--like vandal hearts and final fantasy tactics) ...

I'm somebody with a dream as well to make a game, I've learned that people like myself could be a bigger nightmare for developers than they could be for you.. I don't know you nor do I know your knowledge about developing games but I should tell you that you should write EVERYTHING down first. If you want a designer to do something, have everything written out clearly.. do you want an 2D artist to do something write everything clearly for that person as well.

If you don't know what to write our how to write it, ask people on forums or Google everything.. once you've got everything in order THEN you're going to look for your staff.

So I'm trying to decide if I should use sprites that are 4 directions like in most J-style RPGs; or if I should go more vandal hearts and use front-facing and rear-facing 3/4 view sprite sets. Either way facing indicators will be used to avoid any problems with the isometric battle ground.

In all honesty, I want to make a game just to make money.. by making a game I should say that all I have is an idea and the money but I lack skills to develop so I need to hire staff as well. If you're going to make a game just to make money, then Google first which one is more popular. If the higher ranked games are sprites that are 4 directions than you have got some kind of safety net. If you're making this game because you love to make games and it is going to be a challenge for you.. then decide what will be more challenging for you to make.

Any thoughts which styles are better or more pleasing?

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement