🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Section for Metal?

Started by
22 comments, last by wintertime 9 years, 1 month ago

How about a section for iOS’s Metal?

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement

I imagine either the Graphics Programming forum or the Mobile and Console forum could handle questions and discussion about either.

Is there something specific that you think will be getting high traffic, especially high enough traffic to get a dedicated forum?

Alternatively, is there some change you would recommend to Mobile and Console to encourage discussion on the topic?

Over the years there has been discussion about if gd.net should remain discussion-focused rather than Q&A focused like Stack Overflow, and generally the consensus has been to stay a discussion forum. Most of the questions I've read about it tend to be more Stack Overflow style rather than broad discussion, or questions that could be asked directly to the developers at Apple's site.

At this point of time it's not clear that more than like four of us are coding Metal -_-

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

At this point of time it's not clear that more than like four of us are coding Metal

This. I've used Metal for small hobby projects (just to see how it works) but, I really can't see it being an active section on GameDev.

As future API’s take a shift from where they are now (Direct3D style there, OpenGL style here, etc.) and become more similar to each other, I am wondering if it would be better to have a new section basically about the “new” way all of the API’s work (depending on how similar they are to each other).

Metal, Vulkan, Direct3D 12, and Mantle would be grouped together in this section.

The reason I wouldn’t consider posting a Metal topic in Graphics Programming and Theory is because it is API-less. Having Direct3D and OpenGL sections implies that any questions regarding a specific API either has its own section or should not be asked. At least, that is how I feel when I think about posting about Metal.

So I consider there being a section where the theme is, “Graphics Programming and Theory + API’s Without Devoted Sections” (it would have to be specifically mentioned in the section name or description that we are allowed to post about specific API’s), or a section devoted to the new API’s and the “new” way to program graphics, which could start with Metal but be expanded to include all of the API’s I mentioned above.

Basically, I view it as more of a starting point for a larger section rather than a section just for Metal.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I agree, we no longer need different section for every API. People tag their posts with GL/D3D/ect. anyways.

Aww man, for a minute i got all excited and was ready to stick my "mee too" in, as i thought you were going to create a forum section where we all discuss the superiority of thrash metal, death metal, power metal, and all other things with riffs.

I'm dissapointed now :(

Aww man, for a minute i got all excited and was ready to stick my "mee too" in, as i thought you were going to create a forum section where we all discuss the superiority of thrash metal, death metal, power metal, and all other things with riffs.

I'm dissapointed now sad.png

I can at least soften the blow.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Yay, promit that made my day, thanks for that biggrin.png

Metal, Vulkan, Direct3D 12, and Mantle would be grouped together in this section.

I'm kind of a fan of this, at least in theory.

I don't know how disruptive it would be to merge the OpenGL and DirectX forums (applying suitable tags to the existing posts) into a "Classic Graphics APIs" forum. Then we could create a "Modern Graphics APIs" forum (albeit with a better name than that, presumably) to handle the all the variations Spiro lists.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement