🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Career path advice?

Started by
25 comments, last by walsh06 9 years, 1 month ago

Hello.

Wondering who else in here came from a software programming( what I mean is creating an app commercially) first then move to game development?

I really wanted to be a game dev. But we all know that game dev position is rare and often got a tough competition. Im guessing every programmer wants to be a game developer some day.

Has anyone here focus entirely on game dev up to the point where they got a job on games industry? For a PRO like you, what advice can you give to those wanting to enter game industry? Should they keep doing on what they love or be realistic first and when the time is right do game dev?

And for example if I went to the path of software development, If i get enough experience in software application development(lets say mobile app) will I be able to get into game industry? Or do they prefer someone who has been doing game dev for a long time but doesnt have any commercial experience?

Just completed my degree in CS and wondering what to do next. Some advice would be a great help for me.

Thanks

Advertisement

Moving to the Job Advice area of the site.

My first recommendation would be to read all the articles linked to in the FAQ.

Since you write that you just completed a degree in computer science, the next step is probably to start looking for a job. Hopefully you already live near a city that has game development studios. If you do, then wonderful. If not, consider moving.

Getting a job at a game studio by itself isn't hard if you are willing and able to move to any number of major cities. It is less possible if you are not able to move, or perhaps live in a country where global travel is difficult.

There is an enormous difference between saying "I want to get a job at any company anywhere" versus "I want a job at one of three specific companies in my city". The former is simply a matter of applying everywhere and accepting anything offered. The latter may mean working closely with the individuals, being well-positioned the moment they realize they want to hire somebody, so that people in the company will say "I have this friend, let's interview him first."

Hi, Thanks for quick response. Ill read every article on that page. Thanks again.

Just out of curiosity. about this

The latter may mean working closely with the individuals, being well-positioned the moment they realize they want to hire somebody, so that people in the company will say "I have this friend, let's interview him first

Is this about networking? Like the saying "its not what you know , its who you know" thing?

It is exactly networking.

When companies hire they want to take minimum risk in the process. Many will first ask for suggestions within their own workers to see if there is someone the employees say the company should hire. If you have already been networking with those individuals, or even established yourself as a friend looking for a job at their company, they may put your name to be interviewed before the job is announced.

It is exactly networking

This is one of my greatest weakness. They might feel Im just using them to get into industry.

Guess I have to improve my social skills.. OH NO!

Usually it is less hard than you might think.

For one thing, posting on gamedev.net? That is networking. Congratulations, you're doing it.

If you're looking for some local networking, that is easy too. If there is a studio near you (still no comment on where you live in the world) find some people who work there, see if they have a popular food place nearby, and meet with them during lunch or after hours when they congregate. If they go for a round of after-work drinks on fridays, join up with them.

The other thing is that you are a recent college grad. You just finished. That is a great time to apply for jobs at the company.

Before you apply, you might want to read some of the threads in the Job Advice section of the site where other people have posted theirs and gotten them reviewed so you don't make the same mistakes. After fixing up any common mistakes, you might want to post a link to your resume or CV here to the site for people to critique it. Then once you've fixed up the most glaring errors, give it to recruiters at any nearby studios wherever you live, or away from where you live if you are willing to pay for your own move.

Living on New Zealand. And there's not a lot of game company out here. Mostly Software companies(Web and mobile). I guess game industry is mostly on America part.Since most of AAA games are from america I believe.

Btw, I dont know there is a job Advice section here. I cant see it either on the tab. Can you give me the link? Thanks.

Btw, I dont know there is a job Advice section here. I cant see it either on the tab. Can you give me the link? Thanks.

Your post has been moved into it: http://www.gamedev.net/forum/101-game-industry-job-advice/

Thanks. :D

Just completed my degree in CS and wondering what to do next.

You should make games, build a portfolio. If you need to, take a job to support yourself until a game company within daily commuting distance sees you as someone to hire. If there is no game company that nearby, move when you have saved up a few months' worth of living money.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement