🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Career path advice?

Started by
25 comments, last by walsh06 9 years, 1 month ago

Since you are in the Commonwealth, how easy is it for you to move to the UK? There are game studios all over England. As was previously mentioned, you should be working on making games now (hopefully you were making games in school too) to build up your portfolio. Find some open source games that need some help in whatever field you are interested in. It looks like there is a IGDA chapter in New Zealand. Join that so you can make some contracts there. Companies are going to tend to hire people current employees know and can vouch for instead of random people off the street.

Advertisement

Just completed my degree in CS and wondering what to do next.

You should make games, build a portfolio. If you need to, take a job to support yourself until a game company within daily commuting distance sees you as someone to hire. If there is no game company that nearby, move when you have saved up a few months' worth of living money.

I dont have any portfolio yet. But right now im starting to finish a project. First is just a pong game. Like every beginner out there thats where they start. About moving, I could not go to any other places as of now, If I got an interview, I will but for now, Applying online is my best bet i suppose.

Since you are in the Commonwealth, how easy is it for you to move to the UK? There are game studios all over England. As was previously mentioned, you should be working on making games now (hopefully you were making games in school too) to build up your portfolio. Find some open source games that need some help in whatever field you are interested in. It looks like there is a IGDA chapter in New Zealand. Join that so you can make some contracts there. Companies are going to tend to hire people current employees know and can vouch for instead of random people off the street.

Thanks about IGDA. I did not know that. For UK part, lets say my stay here in NZ is a bit complicated biggrin.png so the UK part is quite blurry. But if Im going to america is california(cause a lot of software company is there) the best bet on getting a game dev job?

I check the IGDA, it turns out you have to pay to join :( --- just to inform everyone else

But if Im going to america is california

Think very carefully about that. Although I don't live in America I once looked into living in LA, and for any reasonable house in a nice area even a condo to rent, the prices are way above average for the US. It is a popular area and like living in London in the UK you'll pay a premium. There are lots of other good games studios elsewhere in the US to
consider. Good luck with your job hunt!

I dont have any portfolio yet.

And that's a problem with my advice that you should build one, because...?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

But if Im going to america is california(cause a lot of software company is there) the best bet on getting a game dev job?
Maybe, but not necessarily.

The parts of California with a dense population of game studios suffered from some serious housing cost problems. It changed from being an average-cost area to one of the most expensive areas in the nation.

Probably the fastest growing, moderately expensive game development hubs in the US is the Austin area. I've thought about moving there myself, in recent years. I'm in a smaller hub (nine major studios) and it is relatively difficult to find a job in one of them after a seasonal layoff.

The FAQ has this link to a fairly comprehensive mapping of game studios. You may not need to move, the site lists about 16 game companies in NZ with links to their company sites. Prepare your information and start applying to any of them that are close enough you would be comfortable with. Network with those individuals and let them know you want to work there.

As for the portfolio, the best evidence that you can create games is that you have already created games. Many college graduates get jobs without a portfolio, but having a collection of game-related projects you've completed is strong evidence that helps land the job.

Would you require a Visa to work in America?

Yes you do and americans are pretty hardcore when it comes to giving them which kinda sucks for people who are outside of the US, but it is also understandable from their point of view.

Consider attending conferences as well, especially as a volunteer. Aside from getting access without paying the costs (which can be pretty steep for something like GDC) it is great for networking.

The volunteer application for GDC Eu in August is open for another week, and while it is smaller than the show in San Francisco, it has it's benefits. Ask me if you'd like me details on that (just don't take my spot as a CA ;) )

There are other conferences going on all the time all over the world, including New Zealand to check out.

I'm not a pro by any means, but I've learned a lot trying to break in (as a concept artist coming from Israel, I knew the odds were stacked against me.)

For instance, Europe has a good number of game studios, a lot of whom speak English, since employing people from all over the world is common practice.

Japan and South Korea on the other hand have much bigger language barriers (but in Korea studios list addresses, and a lot are super nice when you give them a surprise visit, toting your portfolio. The locals don't do that kind of thing :D )

You shouldn't limit yourself to AAA studios. It would be the way to go if you wanted to move to the US, as they would be better prepared for immigration issues, but you can get just as much valuable experience at an indie, mobile or outsourcing studio.

The best advice I ever got was: There's more to the games industry than code, art, and music. I got in via marketing & PR and have been a pro in the industry for over a decade now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement