🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Retro graphics and game atmosphere.

Started by
6 comments, last by Ashaman73 9 years, 1 month ago

Any thoughts on retro looking games?
Do you think those 32 colors are boring or they can create some kind of nostalgic feeling?
Tell me what you guys think about it!

fVFt8oD.png

Advertisement

That is not the best example of 32 colors. I have seen wonderful art using just 2 colors before. It depends how good the artist is. Color use can not make up for a bad drawing. You need to have a solid drawing first. This is why traditional painters have to learn to draw first before they paint.

The 3D style evokes nostalgia, the colors invoke nausea.

By the time games used 3D landscapes we used a large range of color, so dropping your colors will not be nostalgic.

However if you do want to use lower colors artistically you should remember, that in the past the color range was a limit. Retro game artists did all they could with the colors, using a wide arrange of techniques to convey a clear image to the player. Just search a few retro games for inspiration.

As people we are at our most creative when we attempt to break the limits.

First picture, horrible.

Second Picture, not quite as horrible, except that weird orange spot.

Like said above, limited colors in 3d isn't going to bring nostalgia because it isn't like anything of the past. Honestly, I think it could work for a style, if you had better colors. Like palettes for pixel art, the colors have to match up and work together, and that is not what you have in your 32 colors from the looks of it.

A viable style for 3d and nostalgia would simply be one of the low poly styles I've seen before. Minecraft is it's own thing, but it gives an idea(at least the art, forget the whole voxel engine thing). Trees would be a few pyramids on top of each other, that kind of style. But with actual good colors at least.

Slapping 32 colors on something and calling it retro is about as effective as slapping candy-apple red on your Buick and calling it a Ferrari. In the case of games' art direction, it all needs to mesh together if you want to evoke a true sense of nostalgia. Taking NES-style retro games as an example, the feeling of nostalgia can be broken by rather unassuming things, even if everything else is right -- for example, having sprites that are too large, have too many simultaneously-moving parts, or are just too-smoothly animated you lose the nostalgic effect. As a rule of thumb, if you want to evoke nostalgia, you need to demonstrate period-or-platform-appropriate limitations, though you don't have to simulate deleterous effects of the hardware (e.g. certain NES games would slow to half-speed when too many sprites were on-screen; other games would flicker sprites or parts of sprites.)

I find 3D retro to be a pretty hard aesthetic to pull off. I've seen one retro FPS recently that successfully pulled off a Quake II aesthetic, I've seen, in passing, some modern turn-based first-person dungeon crawlers too. That's basically it. Part of the problem is that when we thing of nice 2D retro games, we're talking about replicating the NES or SNES era which was in some ways the (mainstream, at least) peak of 2D artistry -- that's what people are replicating because it was good, almost no one is creating Atari-level retro games, because they weren't that good or compelling. Most of what we think about as "retro 3D" is the Atari of 3D graphics -- no one wants retro 3D like the Playstation One. I'd argue that the PS2 and its contemporaries are sort of the NES-level of 3D evolution, and PS3 and its contemporaries are SNES-level. Both generations are too recent for there to be much nostalgia built up -- maybe in another 10 years, when the grade-schoolers who grew up with those systems become 30-somethings. But another hurdle is that most of the drive behind 3D advances has been photo-realism rather than style, while the opposite was true of 2D games -- its something of an open question whether anyone's interested in what state-of-the-art photo-realism looked like 20 years ago, and 'retro photo-realism' is honestly a bit of an oxymoron.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

There's an interesting article (and counter-article) on retro game aesthetics:

- Pixel Artist renounces Pixel Art

- Why Necrosoft Games will not 'renounce' pixel art (counter-article)

The 3D style evokes nostalgia, the colors invoke nausea.

At least something here is right.

First picture, horrible.

Second Picture, not quite as horrible, except that weird orange spot.

Like said above, limited colors in 3d isn't going to bring nostalgia because it isn't like anything of the past. Honestly, I think it could work for a style, if you had better colors. Like palettes for pixel art, the colors have to match up and work together, and that is not what you have in your 32 colors from the looks of it.

A viable style for 3d and nostalgia would simply be one of the low poly styles I've seen before. Minecraft is it's own thing, but it gives an idea(at least the art, forget the whole voxel engine thing). Trees would be a few pyramids on top of each other, that kind of style. But with actual good colors at least.

Actually I was only testing those effects, the actual game without it is really cartoonist and colorful... And looks like I'm going to keep up with it. Thank you for your opinion.

Slapping 32 colors on something and calling it retro is about as effective as slapping candy-apple red on your Buick and calling it a Ferrari. In the case of games' art direction, it all needs to mesh together if you want to evoke a true sense of nostalgia. Taking NES-style retro games as an example, the feeling of nostalgia can be broken by rather unassuming things, even if everything else is right -- for example, having sprites that are too large, have too many simultaneously-moving parts, or are just too-smoothly animated you lose the nostalgic effect. As a rule of thumb, if you want to evoke nostalgia, you need to demonstrate period-or-platform-appropriate limitations, though you don't have to simulate deleterous effects of the hardware (e.g. certain NES games would slow to half-speed when too many sprites were on-screen; other games would flicker sprites or parts of sprites.)

I find 3D retro to be a pretty hard aesthetic to pull off. I've seen one retro FPS recently that successfully pulled off a Quake II aesthetic, I've seen, in passing, some modern turn-based first-person dungeon crawlers too. That's basically it. Part of the problem is that when we thing of nice 2D retro games, we're talking about replicating the NES or SNES era which was in some ways the (mainstream, at least) peak of 2D artistry -- that's what people are replicating because it was good, almost no one is creating Atari-level retro games, because they weren't that good or compelling. Most of what we think about as "retro 3D" is the Atari of 3D graphics -- no one wants retro 3D like the Playstation One. I'd argue that the PS2 and its contemporaries are sort of the NES-level of 3D evolution, and PS3 and its contemporaries are SNES-level. Both generations are too recent for there to be much nostalgia built up -- maybe in another 10 years, when the grade-schoolers who grew up with those systems become 30-somethings. But another hurdle is that most of the drive behind 3D advances has been photo-realism rather than style, while the opposite was true of 2D games -- its something of an open question whether anyone's interested in what state-of-the-art photo-realism looked like 20 years ago, and 'retro photo-realism' is honestly a bit of an oxymoron.

That's a very interesting viewpoint. I hardly come to those conclusions by myself, I'm far from a real artist, this is why I've posted this.
I don't know why, but somehow this style seems kinda appealing to me, but it's always good to get other people's opinions.

There's an interesting article (and counter-article) on retro game aesthetics:

- Pixel Artist renounces Pixel Art

- Why Necrosoft Games will not 'renounce' pixel art (counter-article)

Very good articles, thank you for sharing this!

To choose a retro art style has many different motivations. One is for sure, that many retro-art-styles results in lower artistic workload. This is true and is really suited for low indie-dev budgets. But....it is still art.

Therefor to choose a retro art style, because it looks simpler is the wrong motivation. Creating a good looking retro art style could be more difficult than copying a photorealistic art style, thought the latter will involve a lot more work. But both has in common, that you need a lot of skill to create art, regardless if it is a retro art style or a photorealistic art style.

If you want to choose an art direction which suits your (not yet existing?) art skills, look at what art students start to learn first, because this is the most important, basic foundation you need to learn art. If you don't have so much time to learn art, you can stop at a certain stage and try to develop an art style with what you have learned so far.

Eg. most students will start to learn about form,shape, especially abstract shapes. They don't start to learn painting with 4 colors and later on with 256. So, one of the easiest art styles would be a very abstract representation (boxes, stickman, simple geometry shapes etc.).

The best about lacking art skills is, that you can lean them. It is not all about talent, it is all about learning and practising.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement