🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to go from here?

Started by
17 comments, last by TwistedMind 9 years ago

I don't care where it is, I am willing to relocate.

Please read the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

I don't care where it is, I am willing to relocate.

Please read the FAQs.

I have read FAQs, and the more I read of them, the more apparent it becomes

that you're trying to nudge me away with a heavily spiked pole, from the gamedev industry.

We only have the power to change the future, not the past. That's why we should learn from our mistakes, and be given the change to show we have learned from them.

Nothing I see was a "heavily spiked pole."

You are asking about a position that many people think they want, and behave as if it should be given them with no experience.

But it is a fairly senior job, like a leadership or management role. I don't see anything that says "don't enter the industry" but plenty that say "build the right career for yourself" and "be smart about your choices, don't be stupid".

If you feel like that pushes you out, you might start by asking why that is. For programming rather than design, I similarly get accused of being rough by asking questions like "How is your linear algebra? Statistics? Discrete math? Calculus? Trigonometry? What physics have you studied? ..." It is not to be cruel, it is because these are the necessary prerequisites.

If you feel uncomfortable about topics that are important for a senior-level job, that tells more about you than it does about the topics.

You said that some of your ideas are for board games... have you tried making playable versions of these? This doesn't need to involve any lengthy education or require any expensive items -- you just need a pen/marker, some paper or cardboard, and some scissors -- why not make some of these ideas and try them out so that you can refine your craft?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I have read FAQs, and the more I read of them, the more apparent it becomes
that you're trying to nudge me away with a heavily spiked pole, from the gamedev industry.

The FAQs tell you how to get in - they do not tell you to go away. I gather you are saying that all of the FAQs' tips on things you can do to get in are impossible for you, for one reason or another. If you cannot possibly do the things that can get you into the industry, that's not my fault.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You said that some of your ideas are for board games... have you tried making playable versions of these? This doesn't need to involve any lengthy education or require any expensive items -- you just need a pen/marker, some paper or cardboard, and some scissors -- why not make some of these ideas and try them out so that you can refine your craft?

I have tried that, but after having tested 3-4 of them I found myself without people to help me test it.

Just testing them by playing yourself, doesn't really work. It's still just you and your mind.

We only have the power to change the future, not the past. That's why we should learn from our mistakes, and be given the change to show we have learned from them.

Nothing I see was a "heavily spiked pole."

You are asking about a position that many people think they want, and behave as if it should be given them with no experience.

But it is a fairly senior job, like a leadership or management role. I don't see anything that says "don't enter the industry" but plenty that say "build the right career for yourself" and "be smart about your choices, don't be stupid".

If you feel like that pushes you out, you might start by asking why that is. For programming rather than design, I similarly get accused of being rough by asking questions like "How is your linear algebra? Statistics? Discrete math? Calculus? Trigonometry? What physics have you studied? ..." It is not to be cruel, it is because these are the necessary prerequisites.

If you feel uncomfortable about topics that are important for a senior-level job, that tells more about you than it does about the topics.

Not everything is black and white, like the text in the FAQs.

I know why it makes me feel it pushes me out, do you?

...unless you can actually answer 'yes' very convinced in your own mind

to yourself, then you don't understand the issue at hand.

Not everything is black and white, like the text in the FAQs.
I know why it makes me feel it pushes me out, do you?
...unless you can actually answer 'yes' very convinced in your own mind
to yourself, then you don't understand the issue at hand.

Then share it, rather than behave like a child with "I've got a secret an I'm not going to tell you!"

A truth about the industry best to learn early is that people are generally direct, and there is a strong dislike generally for doublespeak and secrecy. People tend to say what is on their mind, provide critical feedback, and offer direct but sometimes harsh advice.

But as bad as people INSIDE the industry of game development are, the people OUTSIDE the industry are thousands of times harsher. Magazine writeups will rip you to shreds for nitpicking details, players will organize protests over any detail they don't like, and stupid groups of game players will direct rage at individuals, including the point of death threats, over small things.

There is no shortage of people around the globe who would absolutely love to do the job. Many are skilled, capable people, living in poor regions of the globe, willing and able to do the job if given the opportunity. There are countless examples of this, such as apps in the app stores that only make a few hundred dollars per year, but when made by someone in a nation where $800USD per year is an annual wage, they can subsist on an income traditional developers from wealthy countries find unacceptable.

The talent pool is ENORMOUS. If you want in to the industry it is not about getting in line. There are people around the globe who are not just in line put pushing and shoving and doing all they can think of to get in. Even in wealthy countries the popularity of games creates high demand for few openings. That has a tendency to make the industry quite harsh and cutthroat at times.

So if some of it 'pushes you out', then you'll need to be pushing back. If you think the articles linked to in the FAQ are harsh, just wait until you see what happens in real life. Wait until your development team starts getting death threats, or suicide notes that blame the developers personally for an individual ruining an aspect of their life. From ten years ago on the site, life isn't fair, and it isn't frequently isn't nice.

It is not nice, and it is often not comforting and inviting, but at present that is a part of the nature of the work. If something pushes you out, it obviously isn't ideal, but a hundred-billion-dollar-annually industry that has no shortage of incoming talent is not going to bend out of its way to make one individual feel warm and fuzzy about entering.

If there is something specific about an article that is incorrect, then point it out. But just that there are aspects that don't appeal to you, and that you don't have an education and it isn't in the cards for you, and that you aren't in a good location on the globe, sorry to tell it, but that's how life works.

I am not behaving like a child, though I can see why you mind think that.

One of the problems here is I can't tell you what you should think, I mean I can,

but I doubt you would, even if you had the ability to do it.

People are used to, this is how it works, any other way is bogus,

or to use a famed saying: It's my way, or the highway. (I like to add '...to hell.' )

...on that last thing you mentioned about a big company not bending to be warm and fuzzy,

I don't expect that, not that it ever would be in question.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement