🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tips for Overhauling Indie Game Graphics on Limited Budget

Started by
3 comments, last by jbadams 9 years ago
Hey Guys!

I'm the Lead Developer on "Karaski: What Goes Up..." an open-ended, story-driven investigation onboard a damaged Airship; find the saboteur, or risk becoming suspect! Deus Ex meets Clue with a bit of Telltale.

Over the course of development it became clear the graphics of the game needed to be significantly reworked. My blocky programmer art wouldn't do! But the problem was: while I had budget to create missing assets and do some touch ups, I did not plan to completely overhaul it.

But in the end I found a way to vastly improve the look of the game while still staying within my (slightly increased) budget range. Just wanted to share my recent blog posts with All The Tips and explanations of how we managed it.
Hope this is some useful food for thought for all you other Indie Devs smile.png Lemme know what you think!
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Advertisement

Lemme know what you think!

I can sign every tip you wrote down. I came to the same conclusion for my project running an a very low budget too.

Great tips, thanks for sharing -- I shared the link via our Facebook page for you! :)

Have you considered submitting an article to our site? This is exactly the sort of content people normally love, and previous publishers have told us that well received articles have driven quite a bit of traffic back to their own site.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for the share jBadams! Much appreciated. And I'll definitely keep publishing in mind as I write more articles. Do they need to be exclusive? Or is it OK if I still post them on my DevBlog and other sites?
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

Do they need to be exclusive?

Not at all - we discussed this amongst the staff when we launched the new article system, and while exclusives can help to support a site we don't feel they're really beneficial to the development community.

You're welcome to republish anywhere you like, and if you have originally published something on your own site/blog we're happy to include an "originally published on" link at the bottom of the article. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement