🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DDS imaging problem

Started by
7 comments, last by AnuragR 9 years, 1 month ago

Hello everyone,

I am kind of new to 3dArt. So may be my query will seem noob.

Problem is, i am working an MMORPG game visual, specifically the weapons which are defined via .DDS texture in client files.

When i am replacing those .DDS with mine .DDS files and run the client, it says client corrupted and game crashes.

I used Photoshop with nvidia texture tools.

Tried almost each and everying;

1. keeping alpha on/off

2. all DXT with mipmapping on/off

But nothing seems to be working. Is there anyone who can help me out ? :)

Advertisement

Hello everyone,
I am kind of new to 3dArt. So may be my query will seem noob.

Problem is, i am working an MMORPG game visual, specifically the weapons which are defined via .DDS texture in client files.
When i am replacing those .DDS with mine .DDS files and run the client, it says client corrupted and game crashes.

I used Photoshop with nvidia texture tools.
Tried almost each and everying;
1. keeping alpha on/off
2. all DXT with mipmapping on/off

But nothing seems to be working. Is there anyone who can help me out ? :)

It sounds like you are trying to mod an existing game? If so its likely the game keeps a hash of all the files it uses, and detects the modified texture files, and simple won't load.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

If it is a korean based MMO than it has some built in protection with the gaurd system. There is a few ways around that though so.... good luck! If your .dds files match the same format than you should be good to go and this is more of a programming/hacking question than an art one.

You can use dxtex.exe (I know it's a bit old) to check the exact type of the source file. You can also use the same tool to save the new one to the exact same format

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

It sounds like you are trying to mod an existing game? If so its likely the game keeps a hash of all the files it uses, and detects the modified texture files, and simple won't load.

Accurately, yes :)

and i agree 101% with hashes and modification detections. If you can help figuring it around, i can send you the .dds

I doubt the client keeps record of filesize precisely in hashes.

or can it be locked mip-maps ?

If it is a korean based MMO than it has some built in protection with the gaurd system. There is a few ways around that though so.... good luck! If your .dds files match the same format than you should be good to go and this is more of a programming/hacking question than an art one.

Agreed, its korean based MMO and as "slicer4ever" said above about the hashes.

You can use dxtex.exe (I know it's a bit old) to check the exact type of the source file. You can also use the same tool to save the new one to the exact same format

Thanx for the suggestion, i am going to try that one after dinner tonight. Can the file dimenisions be an issues ?

like if original file is 128p x 64p and i am fooling around with 128p x 256p

Maybe you are using different DXT compression compared with the one that is expected.

Update : Thanx everyone, i figured out it was a hash record regarding size of DDS :)

Its done for the .DDS texture. Now left job is to find the 3d file ofthose weapons in whole encrypted data files of client :/ As soon as i identify the 3d file of weapon, will just replce :D

Nice job.
Just to be sure, make sure you're allowed to do what you're doing (data, copyrights, restrictions etc.)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Nice job.
Just to be sure, make sure you're allowed to do what you're doing (data, copyrights, restrictions etc.)

its an abandoned mmorpg by its creator studio :) and yea, im pretty much stuck in findingthe file related to 3d modelling. Whole client files are totally encrypted. DDS files were also bunched in another file with a random extension.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement