🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stalemate

Started by
11 comments, last by Hodgman 9 years ago

I've read about what it takes to become a game designer, what they do and I don't think I could be better at anything else. Of course I have to prove myself, this seems to be mentioned in every article I've read, but how? My biggest obstacle to reaching this goal is I found what I want to do but I really haven’t a clear plan to get there. Being a game designer isn’t like becoming a doctor or lawyer. To become a doctor there are standardized tests that must be taken, specific classes that must be passed and a very clear standard is defined. But when it comes to being a designer, I can’t help be realize the path is, to say the least, confusing and shrouded in a fog of abstract needs and requirements. To finally enter this career is my deepest passion but as a human being we are all different. So the path one takes to reach his/her goal will always be different then someone else’s. That being said I’ll just go over a little about myself and my situation.

Right now I’m a twenty-six year old student going to Burlington County College and majoring in computer science. I have completed a Java course but haven’t used the language much since. I have finished the second part of my C++ programing course. I’ve completed my requirements and can transfer to a four year college. Interestingly enough, a four year college exists in Philadelphia PA. Drexel University offers a degree in game development, but not design. From what I know the two are quite different. I am concerned that I may not be making the right choice for a curriculum. They also offer a degree in computer animation for games, again, not sure if this will be the right choice. I really want to avoid taking classes for a degree that isn’t going to help me. So far this seems like this is the only school nearby that offers a degree in something even close to game design. I live in New Jersey, I’m sure there are others but I don’t know their names or their locations. Does anyone here have experience in game design who knows where or how I should look for a decent school in Jersey?

Currently I am a sales advisor and working at Costco. I don’t make enough money to pay for school or take care of myself so I have to live with my family. My father’s plumbing business isn’t doing so well. I’ve been told I’m a good sales person but I know for sure I’m in a dead end job that has nothing to offer. I’m just tired of handing out samples to rude, ungrateful members and I really want to get to where I need to be. My father tells me to “start my own business” and make games from there but I doubt I could do that at this point. I’ve learned the basics with object oriented programming but not a single thing about game design/or development itself and am not sure how to turn the knowledge of C++ I have into my first working game. I’ll have to work for someone else which doesn’t bother me if I know I’ll be doing what I love and it gains me valuable experience.

I am being treated for depression at the moment, but the medication and consoling isn’t doing too much. This illness has made it hard for me to stay focused on my goals and stop being so negative. I believe once I start seeing more progress toward my career path I won’t be quite so sick, which is what I’m hoping to get from you guys. But I’m in a bit of a stalemate here and not sure where to go from here. I use the time I have to make mods for a server I have, level design in hammer editor, and trying to get the most out of every game I play. I’m always looking to meet developers but the only thing they seem to be playing is hard to get. So I just make the mods I can and listen to feedback from people who play them. I’ve read from designers the best thing to do is keep trying new things and experimenting, play a lot of games especially bad ones, and try to get involved in quality control. I really get a great feel knowing I can help developers make their games more fun to play so I suppose I can get into testing. If that would help me reach my goal I’d love to get some insight on how to get involved in that as well.

TL;DR: I want to be a game designer but I’m not sure how to get there. I want to get there even though I’m poor and depressed. I have a 2 year degree and I’m not sure where to take it. I’m tired of wasting time and I need to do something. Advice?

PS: Alot of developers for smaller studios seem to be in other countries. If I am to move to another country, what would be a good choice for a game designer? I'm a bit disappointed with what America is turning into and the mindset of the people here but thats a different story.

Advertisement
As you say yourself there is as many paths to becomming a game developer as there are game developers. There is only one advice I can give you, and that is to work your ass off.

What I mean is that if this is your dream, you need to pursue it. Always.

Sure, if you like to, go to uni and get a CS degree. I did. But more importantly stay focused, never forget your dream and keep pushing yourself.

That might have been a bit too vauge, but as you have noticed yourself, the term game designer isn' t exactly well defined. Ralph Koster for example claims that all you have to do is to call yourself one to be one.

If i were to give you a more direct advice it would be to take advantage of what is already available to you. Read blogs, articles, books, watch videos, download Unity or Unreal or gamemaker or w/e and get going. Game development has never been as available as it is now. Take advantage of that, and you will be a game designer before you know it.

And good luck.

Wall of text crits you for 5k damage ;)

Don't worry, I survived and actually I'm glad I've read it all as it really sheds some light on your current position. At first, I don't work in gaming industry, but I work as software dev for some time and I can tell you how I would approach your goal if I were you.

You have quite a few assets that can help you reach your goal:

- you know (basics) of java and c++

- you actually made something - mods. And it is really good you have something to show!

That said I would try to get ANY job in gaming company, most probably as junior dev or tester If you are lucky they may let you help on design of something small (a level, specific game mechanic, ...). If that happen - great! you are just one step closer as you have something to put in your resume related to design. If not - you have real experience as dev or QA and it will be easier to get a better job. Rinse and repeat :)

One thing I DON'T advise is to move to other country to look for a job. If you consider moving, then first find a job, get a work permit if necessary and then move. In that order.

Tomonobu Itagaki talks about his own journey in the game industry, and design philosophy here.

Please watch and be inspired. :)

For the degree portion, I advise getting a CS degree instead of one focusing on Game Dev/Design/etc. A CS degree is more flexible when applying for work.

Moving you to our job advice forum for this one. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

I’m tired of wasting time and I need to do something. Advice?

Now that you are in the correct forum, you should read this forum's FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Moving you to our job advice forum for this one. smile.png

Sorry, dude. This is one of my first posts and it appeared to be relative to the forum, at least I thought it was. Well, thats what the mods are here for. Thank you much! biggrin.png

As you say yourself there is as many paths to becomming a game developer as there are game developers. There is only one advice I can give you, and that is to work your ass off.

What I mean is that if this is your dream, you need to pursue it. Always.

Sure, if you like to, go to uni and get a CS degree. I did. But more importantly stay focused, never forget your dream and keep pushing yourself.

That might have been a bit too vauge, but as you have noticed yourself, the term game designer isn' t exactly well defined. Ralph Koster for example claims that all you have to do is to call yourself one to be one.

If i were to give you a more direct advice it would be to take advantage of what is already available to you. Read blogs, articles, books, watch videos, download Unity or Unreal or gamemaker or w/e and get going. Game development has never been as available as it is now. Take advantage of that, and you will be a game designer before you know it.

And good luck.

I've been told its easier to get a job with a degree. But I'll definetely do what I can from your suggestions. I actually have started to do these before I even read your post.

For the degree portion, I advise getting a CS degree instead of one focusing on Game Dev/Design/etc. A CS degree is more flexible when applying for work.

The big difficulty is that:

--> YOU DO NOT COMPETE FOR JOBS IN A VACUUM <--

Learn that mantra.

Employers are looking for the best match of workers. They first look for people they know. They look for people who come recommended by other workers. Trying to hire by resume and job applications is the least efficient method for employers, and most will do all they can to avoid it.

But when they do need to look at resumes, it is easy to get an enormous stack to review. So you need to look for discriminators, or in more common language, factors to help you decide which ones get those few interview spots.

When screening resumes, you come across plenty of people wanting to break in who have both a CS degree and some demos. Then you have others that only have demos. And you have others who only have a degree. And you have those with neither. You also have people with some industry experience.

That makes it really easy to make five piles. 1) Industry experienced, 2) BOTH degree AND demo, 2) Degree only, 3) Demo only, 4) Neither.

Imagine you have 5 interview slots. And you have a pile of 100+ applications. Which one of those five piles to you start through first?

As is hopefully obvious, you start with those with industry experience, then if any interview slots are left (usually not) the remaining slots go to those with BOTH a degree and demos.

It is not because those of us who interview have anything against you, or that we are trying to reject those without education. It is just that a degree is strong evidence that you can stick with projects even when they get hard, and it is strong evidence that you've got a broad (yet shallow) knowledge base and can be at least conversant on any relevant topic. Those without the degree tend to be less universally fluent, start talking complexity theory, or about using automata, or about formal grammars, or advanced mathematics, or anything else that people tend to not study on their own, and those without the degree tend to not do as well.

Since there are an abundance of people with BOTH a degree and demos, and since discrimination based on educational background is legal (you can use almost anything as a selector except those few that are legally protected), a college degree serves as a quick way to help prune the pile.

And if you were paying attention, you probably also caught the much better way to get the job. Talk with other people. Get the job before it comes down to soliciting resumes from unkown applicants. Instead, be the person who is hired because the team has a need and someone says: "We need to hire this guy, don't bother doing a job search."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement