🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D ART ?

Started by
2 comments, last by Ion_Spider 24 years, 5 months ago
I would like to know an opinion on which is the best program for 2D art - Paint Shop Pro 6, Adobe Illustrator 8 or Macromedia Freehand 8 ? Hope someone can answer this one.
Advertisement
Hi!

Well, I''m a newbie in 2d/3d art but I can tell you that the best program
is which you get used more to. Use all you have despite of big names.. I
own adobe photoshop and the most times I''m using the photostudio - shareware guess-
because it allows me to do what I want and I know it..

Hope it helps!
"Old programmers don't die,they just terminate and stay resident."
I''m not an artist, but since I am such a perfectionist with my games, I get very picky with my art.

Photoshop is great if you already have some art to work with to give it that professional touch. It''s also good for creating textures and other abstract looking things. Still, I find it difficult to create a lot of what I want to do from scratch. Here, I ussually fall back on Paint Shop Pro. Once I have something I like, I then take it into Photoshop and edit it.

Also, every artist I have known swears by one of those fancy pressure pads with Photoshop. I don''t have one since I just don''t think I have the skill to utilize it, but it''s an idea.
I believe you'll find most professionals use Photoshop, Illustrator and a 3d package to create their 2d artwork for games. Paintshop pro is a good package, but it's not exactly professional level, it's missing alot of things. If your not planning on making 2d art a professional career then your probably better off getting paintshop due to the fact it's cheaper. There is also a very good paint program that's probably equivilent to photoshop called "GIMP" it's freeware, and it's available at http://www.gimp.org/ It was origionaly made for Linux but there is a port of it for windows.

On another note all the programs you menchon have diffrent purposes. Illustrator is a vector based artwork program it is good for creating things like clip art and stuff you'd see in brochures. You can create some photorealistic stuff with it but it's all tricks done with gradients. Photoshop is used for merging photo's togeather. Often times I take outlines created in illustrator and bring them into photoshop where I make it look metalic, paint it, add text, fire, etc. FreeHand is just like illustrator in that it's a vector artwork program, but it's user interface varies from illustrator. Paintshop Pro merges aspects of photoshop and illustrator togeather but in my humble opinion it's got along way to go before I'll ever trade in illustrator or photoshop for it.

For tutorials you can goto www.adobe.com for any of the adobe products. I know they are tedious but if you complete the tutorials you'll be able to just about design anything you want in photoshop and illustrator.

Good Luck

Edited by - evaclear on 1/19/00 4:18:01 PM
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement