🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Multiple job offerings, too much of a good thing

Started by
1 comment, last by L. Spiro 9 years ago

Hello all.

After years of frustration chasing my dreams I've managed, over the last two weeks, to get job interviews at two studios in which I can finally start racking up some relevant experience.

I've realized that refusing to freelance and lacking a job permit outside of my home country of Israel just isn't going to work, so I've focused on expanding my portfolio into 3D work.

The first studio I visited is an actual gaming studio - in the gambling sense. I would be making assets for slot machine type games, in 2D and 3D as required.

It may not be a AAA studio, but with a few years of experience, published titles under my belt and money in the bank I'm confident I can leverage it to take me further along the lines of where I want to end up.

The cons are that I would need to relocate or suffer from a long commute, and I'm not quite sure how I'm doing as an applicant. I didn't even confirmation that they received the art test I completed per their request, and I was told they would take another few weeks interviewing.

My second interview was at an architectural visualization studio.

Creating high poly photorealistic still images for architects may not be quite relevant as creating models for real time animation, but there's still enough overlap to open doors.

The nice thing about this studio is that it is within walking distance to my home, and I was promised a prompt response.

I think I would fit in well with the cultures of either studio.

Of course, both my reject me, making this a rhetoric exercise, but I think I'll probably go with whomever accepts me first.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Advertisement

Of course, both [may] reject me, making this a rhetoric exercise, but I think I'll probably go with whomever accepts me first.
Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I don't think the first offer is necessarily the best offer. You should make a decision grid and consider all the pros and cons. If you get one offer and the other is still considering, then you need to press them to get off the pot. It's a classic situation (job offers always seem to come in twos, poorly timed).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I would personally go with the latter job based on commute (one of the largest wastes of time in the history of mankind), the free time you gain allowing you to work on personal projects which would entirely make up for the fact that it is not in the game industry.

Before you decide to just go with the first reply, see if you can wait a few days before accepting their offer. This is a fairly standard courtesy companies offer. Give the other company time to reply.

If they have both replied, then you can do as above and make a decision grid. If only one or zero have replied then your decision has been made for you.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement