🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is gamesdevil.net an imposter of gamedev.net?

Started by
11 comments, last by conquestor3 9 years ago

There really shouldn't be much money in mirroring gamedev for add revenue, right? Why is this a recurring thing?

Advertisement

Someone must've figured out a way to make money from this idiocy, or they wouldn't be doing it.

I think that to myself whenever I see a business doing something stupid...

Lots of the cloud providers have free usage tiers, where you don't pay if you don't get many visitors. Maybe if you go out and clone enough websites, you get just enough people who occasionally mis-type a URL and land on your page, and then occasionally click on one of your ads, to make just enough money to justify the time you spent making an automated website cloning tool.... Or maybe once they've got an armada of fake websites up and running, they can auction them off to nasty people who want to distribute malware?

Ive at least ended up clicking on such clone sites while searching for some topic if I dont quite find what I want in the first search results - Ill then look at the later ones, and some might just be duplicated of the first site except on a sketchy site so Ill just look "link not marked as visited *check* relevant keywords *check*" - If its a clone of some of the first search results, I might have visited a few other ones and maybe got distracted doing something else on the way so I wont necessarily realize its the same thing just looking at the google search result.

Maybe the site will catch such people who didnt find what they were looking for and see it as another relevant page.

o3o

Can you use that to "harvest" Google pagerank? I mean, in that case, it would be worth real money...

Or they could be trying to phish a specific company. If they clone gamedev, and then distribute a modified hosts file to use their new cloned site, they could capture usernames/passwords.

Might pay off to put some url checking/redirect code in gamedev to end these attempts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement