🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ad-Block block ads even when I whitelist gamedev.net

Started by
7 comments, last by jbadams 8 years, 11 months ago

I have the latest version of Firefox. And I disable Ad-Block Plus on gamedev.net. But the ads don't show. However, if I disable ad-block for all sites, then the ads do show. Well I don't want to disable all ads for all sites. Just gamedev.net. So 1) has anyone else come across a similar or same issue and 2) how do I fix this?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
I think the question might be, does GD.net get money for every ad SHOWN, or for every ad CLICKED on? If it is the latter, and you have no intent to click on any of the ads, then it is moot anyway.
Not sure about the site historically, but most ad networks pay for both. There is a very small amount per view, and a larger amount per click.

Of course, with the site running its own ads, the revenue comes in directly and gets reported back to the customer with both views and clicks.

A quick look at the public side source code shows that this site loads the code for it's ads from several third party vendors.

On a side note: last time I looked at the payout for ads, it was about $0.01 per 350 views, $0.02 per click, and 5% of net sales --- of course this was a long time ago

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

So are we trying to fix this problem or is staff saying it's not worth it?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Wouldn't it make more sense to report your adblock problem to the adblock people?

Definitely in the 'trying to fix' pile, but it may be better taken up with the adblock developers.

I'm on mobile, but I'll respond in more detail later.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Doesn't whitelisting a site in Ad-Block only whitelist ads from the site and not on the site?

I'm on mobile, but I'll respond in more detail later.
Looks like "later" has been pushed back to tomorrow -- sorry for the delay!

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement