🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What should I name my sandbox game?

Started by
8 comments, last by Brain 8 years, 11 months ago

As you can see from my username, it's obvious that I work on sandbox games. I just started working on a game with my team of 3 including me. I probably need a name for it, otherwise I've got to rename ALL of the random folders. So I just went ahead. I just need a name for an open world sandbox game with cubes as the primary shape, with other 3D models too. And I don't want a name that has the word "Mine" or "Craft".

Advertisement

"Excavation Artistry"

Usually the "naming" part of a game is not crowd sourced ... maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Edit: you did not give much information for us to "name" your game.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Surely you can go with a working title during development, and then, should you settle on an official title, simply change the text in the game itself, any installer or tools that you might use, and perhaps the name of the executable?

"Excavation Artistry"

... While I do see what you did there, perhaps I'm just tired, but I actually kinda like that name...

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

*something* CUBE

quick before someone else takes it ...

battle cubes

sugar cubes

steak cubes

wonder cubes

cubes xtreme

Nobody Expects The Spanish Cubes

etc...

cubes of death

infinite cubes

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

How it is different from Minecraft? The uniqueness should be included in the title (or they will riducule you do death, trust me, seen it dozen of times).

For example, (assuming I had infinite time biggrin.png) I would make a game about floating islands, each island is a separate instance (circular) and can change position in relation to other islands. You can also create flying ships instances (smaller number of cubes and smaller circular area) that are not part of any island, in addition each player would have access to a cheap limited flying of some sort (wings/etc). I would name it "Floating Cuboic Islands" or "Floating Steampunk Cubes" or "Floating Cuboids" or "Sky Islands". This would also let me get rid of all those pesky people who say "why I should play your game when I can play Minecraft" smile.png

If I were to make a game where you don't build personally but manage several peons and it has a day/night cycle where you need to defend yourself I would name it "Castle Story" tongue.png

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Hexahedron.

A synonym for cube....

"Excavation Artistry"

Usually the "naming" part of a game is not crowd sourced ... maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Edit: you did not give much information for us to "name" your game.

Excavation Artistry... Mine... Craft...

I've seen what you've done there.

It's basically a guy spawning on a main world. Once he masters the main world he can build portals to go to other universes. Or he can build a time machine and go back/forward in time. My prototype name was called "Time Craft".

Because of the different times, universes, and dimensions, there will be a LOT of stuff here.

The player can bring ancient stuff back to the present or bring futuristic stuff to the ancient world. That means you can bring back Damascus Steel to the main world.

I think "Time Craft" is perfect. Clearly shows it is minecraftish yet it has this curious unique component.

Other: Transdimensional Craft, Multiverse Craft, Timeshift blocks, Portal Craft.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Dimension shift :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement