🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The new 'Disallowed topics' rule

Started by
103 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 6 months ago

even if theyre flaming someone.

The passionate arguments I don't have a problem with - the lounge has always had fairly relaxed moderation policies compared to the technical sections of the site. Personal attacks and spamming are of course not allowed, but until you cross that line...

you know, seeing ppls point of view is always a great insight.

The problem I have with this is that you are only seeing a single point of view.

We can't have fair and balanced discussions of race and gender, when even a cursory glance at our forums will tell you that the only point of view you are seeing is white and male (a point of view which is intrinsically privileged, and as a result generally uninformed on said topics).

If the participants are willing to agree that such discussions will exclusively consist of arguments that rely on peer-reviewed sources, then it becomes possible to have such a discussion. As long as they are based purely on the opinions of a single demographic, it is not.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

I enjoyed the gamergate ones..you know, seeing ppls point of view is always a great insight, even if they're flaming someone.

Fortunately for you there are plenty of websites out there who are more than willing to host such content without regard to issues such as cyberbullying, doxing, character assassination, etc etc. Conveniently many of these websites are located in countries that enable them and their posters to be legally unaccountable to the realities of what happens to the victims of such attacks.

If gamedev went down the path of enabling this sort of content then I would hazard a fair guess that the current stakeholders in this website would evaporate in short order.

I'm not going to read everything here, but I don't like the new rules.

Seriously? Opinions are fine, but simply launching yours out there without context in the discussion that has already taken/taking place really devolves down to the fact that other than saying "I don't like the new rules" you have no idea if you have contributed anything new or useful to the discussion at hand.

I think everyone is missing the point, and no-one is actually listening to feedback here that doesn't coincide with their own [biased] opinions. For instance, none of the mods on this thread have directly given an honest, thoughtful response to any of the concerns or possible fixes and that I have taken the time to post not once but twice, and I cannot help but feel that they are simply disregarding them.

With all due respect Jbadams (and I am being entirely sincere, as I do care about this community and the issues that it's facing; I've met many great people because of GameDev), saying that you are "not trying to stifle productive discussion of these topics, and [we] don't want to oppress those who have been affected by these issues" is not the same as not actually doing it with the actions that you've taken. It really isn't. Just because ignoring it for some period of time has worked in the past, that does not mean that you should not at least try to make an effort [right now] to handle it differently in the future.

I am tired of trying. I don't know what else to say. No one is listening. If I hadn't committed to certain people on this site, I would consider ending my time here now. After next week, that might just happen. I don't know. I can't ignore the fact that this was and is not being handled properly.

On another note: My opinion that the forum rules should be amended still stands. I have already stated my reasoning.

No one is listening.

I'm listening. I really am. I'm trying to take on board all of your [the community as a whole, not just you personally] concerns, and I really appreciate your suggestions.

This isn't a perfect world, and we can't keep everyone happy all the time - case in point I have been told by multiple people that they would prefer the current new rule be permanent.

The new rule won't be permanent, as I and many others do not feel that is what is best for the community. We genuinely don't want to stifle valuable discussion, and just need to find the right way to allow it so that things can run smoothly.

We're also trying to be more open and transparent about this process than we have traditionally been in the past.

It's just going to take a little time.

I'm doing all of this in my spare time. I'm also running the social media accounts, answering support emails, approving articles for publication, moderating, approving ads for display, and a myriad other small tasks. I'm also working a job, raising two young children, have had a very bad year with sickness and multiple deaths amongst family and close friends, an unwell youngest daughter, and am very unwell myself.

If this temporary ban on discussion of a small number of largely off-topic subjects really makes you want to leave the community I'm genuinely sorry for that, but honestly I would really appreciate just a little more patience; you've been told this is a temporary measure, and most others seem happy to give us a little time.

I just can't solve it for you "right now", this second. If that's really a deal breaker I'm genuinely sorry, and I'll be sorry to see you go if that's what you feel you need to do.

You're right that this policy is effectively a band-aid; that's why it's temporary and we'll be pulling it off soon to take more effective measures that address the actual problem rather than just some symptoms.

We are going to amend the rules. We are going to implement policy changes, some of which will be based on the suggestions we have received here. We are listening. If you can wait a couple of weeks you'll start to see those things happening very soon, but they're just not going to happen right now.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Honestly jbadams i've noticed alot of hints that there is quite some pressure with this site and family/job for you. I get that, and i'm wondering if the actual staff itself needs to be expanding? I obviously don't know whats going on in the backend of the site, but i've noticed gaiiden and mike seem to very rarily post anymore, and of course life does get in the way, this is just a website after all, other things can and will take priority. For the most part the site and social stuff is ran very well, and i amend you for the responsibilitys you are able to bear. But i do ask that if each staff member has so much responsibilty, is there noone whom would be willing to step up and help allievate your responsibilitys?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I'm listening. I really am. I'm trying to take on board all of your [the community as a whole, not just you personally] concerns, and I really appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it, and I wish you and your family well. My family is also dealing with a recent death (we hardly ever talk about it, which is very unhealthy in and of itself) and with mysterious illnesses that doctors cannot pinpoint, so I understand completely. Maybe I overreacted. I apologize.

@jbadams: Don't worry too much! The posting on previous page indicates that the new policy already prevented a useless gamergate thread, which would have devolved into a flamewar.
It looks to me like the mods on here are pretty lenient:
Most of the eternally repeated "troll" threads like "What is the BEST ...?" or "Should I build an engine?" or "You love [absurd thing/technique people would never use] as much as I do?" or "Here is my code dump! Fix it! Do it ! Now!!!!111" or "What should I do/use? [no context given]" are kept open pretty long.
Threads posted in wrong subforum, if they get moved the OP gets rewarded for the wrongdoing with getting a redirection link offering twice the attention.
Threads containing same text spammed into multiple subforums often only get closed and not deleted.
Covert advertising is sometimes not deleted or moved when its adjusted to just barely crossing the line.

I've never liked these rules, and I've never liked the US-centric tech industry's cowardice about tackling them head on. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 90% of the time the root reason for locking down discussions on identity issues, on these forums and elsewhere, is simply people's "discomfort" in talking about them. That's really convenient if the status quo doesn't actively harm you, but for those of us who do face constant risk and threat of various kinds, it's not a very impressive reason.

• I have a three-year old son. Just about every week in America, someone who looks vaguely like my son might when he gets a little older is killed by (sometimes self-appointed) authority figures.
  • I look around my technology organization and virtually no one else who looks vaguely like me is in a position of core technology implementation, decision making or strategy. They're all in sales/marketing, QA or occasionally design.
  • Every time I see a picture of a startup or technology firm's "technical braintrust," I count the number of faces that look vaguely like mine. 95% of the time the answer is zero.

You're telling me that all of that is irrelevant, that it doesn't affect the products we create, the games we make? That the homogeneity of perspective in the creators doesn't bleed into the product? That critiquing the oversights in the product is not valid because it makes some people "uncomfortable"?

Let me tell you a story that involves GameDev.Net people—staff—whose names will be withheld. One year I brought my then-girlfriend with me to GDC. At this point I had been involved with GDNet for about 5 years, and attended GDC and met the other staff at least once or twice Sitting at a table with a bunch of GDNet people, one of them, A, started talking about my skin, and how "black" I was, and how you could only see my teeth. Now this is a problematic, often offensive characterization even within the black community, because darkness of skin has been used as a pretext for all kinds of discrimination (see: brown bag parties, for instance). My girlfriend was furious, but it was her first time meeting them so she didn't want to create a scene. Another staffer, B, has some black ancestry, and they were clearly uncomfortable as well, and at the next available opportunity they chipped in their 2 cents about identity and bias.

To insist that we can't talk about these things because they sometimes get uncivil strikes me as choosing the easy way out. Plugging your ears and claiming the silence means nobody is complaining. The ways that people act are often fundamentally uncivil, and we need to be able to point that out and grow, collectively, as a consequence.

I've been talking about race, but it's the exact same thing for gender or sexual orientation (where I am of the dominant class). The furor over Anita Sarkeesian's Feminist Frequency project suggests staggering ignorance not even about feminism and gender issues, but about media criticism. (Seriously. Read Mulvey.) How do we rectify that if we can't talk about it? And saying that, "Well, THIS isn't the place for it" just makes this a refuge for those who don't want to talk about it. The nature of a community is that it creates the familiarities in which people are willing to extend to each other the benefit of the doubt necessary to make contentious conversations potentially profitable. Absent that context, you get Twitter's instant devolution to death threats. This is exactly the place where these topics can be discussed productively.

»shrug«

Fwiw, Oluseyi, I was going to link at your posts in the Confederate Flag ones, as useful examples to counter Swiftcoder's "The problem I have with this is that you are only seeing a single point of view."; but I think Swiftcoder is right that we're mostly only seeing different views argued by the same demographic.

When you posted in that Confederate Flag thread (the first time I saw your posts in a few years, I think) I was very pleased you were sharing your viewpoint, and thankful you for correcting some false historic information I had. Its those kinds of posts that I value alot.

Swiftcoder's posts was what really bothered me before I realized he wasn't speaking for the site but just his own views. The idea that any group would unilaterally say There's clearly a right and a wrong, and we're the right, so you're the wrong and your views are no longer welcome for discussion". There IS clearly a right and a wrong, but since we have differing views on which side is right, then it should always continue to be discussion.

I see this alot in the media, from both liberals and conservatives, with the liberals saying something like, "Abortion is here to stay, you're increasingly on your own, the discussion is over." (to use abortion as an example. Replace 'abortion' with 'workplace inequality' if you like)... uh, if half the country is passionately still arguing, clearly the discussion isn't over. It's like saying, "The Jews are already boarded on the trains, all Germany supports it, so don't bother talking about it". Just because an overwhelming majority is determined that X is okay, and just because X is already socially acceptable and legally permissible, does not automatically mean it is morally correct, and does not automatically mean no discussion should occur. Silencing dissenting voices because it's already the status quo is the exact opposite of what needs to be done.

That being said, jbadam's posts in this thread helped put me at ease, assuring me that GameDev.net wants these (diversity) discussions to continue and is just looking for a less emotionally-tangling way for moderators to ensure the discussions remain civil.

Keep in mind that these threads (pretty much all the "problem" ones) go on for quite a while before devolving to insults. 4-5 pages is pretty long considering how much content is packed into each post, or obviously the community as a whole can have an intelligent discussion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement