🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So, the "Crossbones Members - GDNet+ Membership Monthly"

Started by
7 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 8 years, 10 months ago

A spiritual successor to this thread.

As I wanted to give some support to this site, I eventually managed to get my paypal unblocked and pay for the recurring crossbones upgrade.

It was my understanding this would have got me a gold nick so I could brag about it :P

Nope. After a month this didn't happen. I got in contact by email... and apparently this is supposed to get me to Crossbones+? What is this whole thing? I am confused.

Previously "Krohm"

Advertisement

You already have Crossbones+. That comes automatically after, I believe, 1000 posts.

I've been elevated to the "Prime Members" club! Yay! I have no idea what that means...

I've been elevated to the "Prime Members" club! Yay! I have no idea what that means...

Me either to be honest!

It was my understanding this would have got me a gold nick so I could brag about it

Must be something to do with how the different user groups are prioritised - but if you signed up to it hoping for a nice gold title then we can absolutely do that for you - I've added it to my to-do list and will get to it sometime within the next couple of days. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

From memory of what Mike said:

Prime Members were a transition group between members and Crossbones - but never quite panned out correctly and got relegated to the back burner as there were some issues with the auto-promoting not operating correctly (also affecting the crossbones auto-promoting) plus some lack of focus as to what the group privileges would end up being as compared to Crossbones which simply were given "effective" GD Net subscription levels of access and features within the site.

Unfortunately this site (as has been pointed out previously) is maintained by the goodwill and hardwork of a few individuals who don't always have the time to fully implement some of the ideas nor sometimes; they don't have time to undo some of the ideas already partially implemented. So effectively in terms of nowadays a Prime Member is a fossil promotion -- but could be considered a pointer for potential promotion to crossbones....though sometimes you may have to yell at a Mod and say "PROMOTE ME!"

Edit: Old link -- back when rep was not quite so free - Prime members was intended for 500 to 1000 rep level. Prime Members?

Ok but... the thing I bought... is it equivalent to GDNet+ for xbones or not? It was my assumption after what I've read in the other thread it's just some sort of discounted price. It's not like I want an exception but if I bought a thing assuming it was something else then I guess the wording will have to be checked. It was unclear to me it's two different things. Or not. Wut.

Previously "Krohm"

Crossbones is basically the GD Net Subscription earnt by your contributions to the site i.e. a valuable member of the community.

A GD Net Subscription is a way to pay for the same benefits that a crossbones gains and is open to any member new or old regardless of rep level.

(There are a few differences - storage space etc I believe (not 100% sure) but in a nutshell that is the basic difference.)

If you are a crossbones member then purchasing a GDNet subscription is very much about you providing your financial support to the site (which it gratefully needs, wants and accepts with love).

edit: -- Oh and forgot to mention the GDNet subscription does enable cheap advertising with GameDev.net -- this is a relatively recent thing though.

Yes, the membership you bought is equivalent to GDNet+ for crossbones members, at a slightly discounted price. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yes, the membership you bought is equivalent to GDNet+ for crossbones members, at a slightly discounted price. smile.png

Holy toledo did not realise that this crossbones package got created.

Needs a quarterly and yearly package though - easier to pay once a year for me.

Yes, the membership you bought is equivalent to GDNet+ for crossbones members, at a slightly discounted price. smile.png

Oh, I thought it was permitting regular users to purchase Crossbones+ membership. laugh.png

I never realized it was only visible for purchase to Crossbone members.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement