🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DRAFT: Rules for controversial topics

Started by
13 comments, last by dsm1891 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm as wary of dog-piling as I am of heavy-handed policies attempting to mitigate it. You're hoping for the right outcome, but I'm not convinced that trying to give equal air-time for every side of every controversy is productive. I don't wan't Gamedev to become equal air-time for "Singleton is a great pattern" any more than I wan't CNN to give equal air-time to "birthers". False symmetries are not something to be chased after, whether in programming interfaces or in public discourse of any kind.

What we want to achieve, I think, is that the variety of opinions expressed are not misrepresentative of the demographics (for lack of a better word) of the community's diverse thoughts and experiences at large. We want for people with minority opinions to feel comfortable expressing and defending them, and we want for people to not attack those who disagree with them whether they are in the majority or not.

That said, the broken-record effect is often deleterious to the readability of threads, and minor differences among similar viewpoints can sometimes derail a thread into pedantry. Since it's important that the community not seem any less behind any position than they actually are, I would encourage people to express support for shared positions first and foremost by rating up existing posts that captured the position eloquently, and optionally by replying with support and confirmation from their own experiences, rather than by rehashing from the same set of factoids everyone else already has.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement

I would encourage people to express support for shared positions first and foremost by rating up existing posts that captured the position eloquently

Ratings is disabled in the lounge, which is a good thing IMO.

If it wasn't disabled, what we'd get is mass-downrating "to show disagreement with" unpopular views. This turns into using ratings to enforce silence or agreement-with-the-masses, rather than using ratings to enforce friendly and helpful behavior. Ratings shouldn't be used to put peer-pressure on viewpoints we don't like.

What I somewhat miss, is the idea of relating your ideas to other ideas expressed in the topic.

Eg "Your rules suck!" as post in this topic is not discriminating afaik, it's a new point of view here, I don't cite any resource so it can't be wrong, and I don't respond to anyone in particular.

So while technically it's quite within the rules (perhaps borderline?), I don't think it would be a useful post at all, and be against the whole spirit of discussion.

Maybe something along the lines of

Try to relate your point of view to other view, what do they have in common, what are strong points of your view, what are weak points, in what situation is it useful to consider using your approach?

@servant: Not sure the "dog-piling" sentence needs to be said. It looks like a special case of the line above. Maybe it could be reworked to a more concrete case, like "(If you find that several other people have already replied, check their answers carefully before you also reply.)" ?

It is kinda redundant, isn't it?

I was trying to differentiate between "Posting to agree" verses five people all quoting the same nice soundbite in one person's post, and now that person feels obligated to either drop out of the conversation or reply to five people's different responses to one sentence. I see this happen alot in the more flame-friendly threads (and in techy threads also).

It's almost seems like a form of bikeshedding - "I also think you're wrong! Look ma, I'm participating in this thread! \o/ "

Unfortunately, the result seems to be burying a poster so they either have to leave the discussion, ignore half of the replies and address just one or two of them, or reply to everyone's redundant statements.

I don't know of a good solution to it though, and I don't know if banning/discouraging it is correct either.

thought this was about the controversial rules of draughts ....

move along

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement